attaching a sprocket to a Bevel box

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Montygti

attaching a sprocket to a Bevel box

Post by Montygti »

Anyone know how i would attach a sprocket to a yamaha xs bevel box. Ive been racking my mind and cant seem to get it right. I dont really want to weld one on but will do if that what it takes. cheers
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: attaching a sprocket to a Bevel box

Post by Kawazuki »

??? Why would you want to? Explanation and some pictures may help?
Montygti

Post by Montygti »

Turning one of my suzuki bandits into a trike and rather than cutting the diff casing on the relaint axle and welding a sprocket to the pinion gear i bought a bevel box to mount and then put a sprocket on the box and pick up a chain to engine. Panhead pete has used one on here and it seemed a good idea. Or is it not?
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Or how about a 90 Deg transfer box with a chain sprocket on the input shaft and a drive shaft to the diff off the output. You can mount it close to the engine and have a short chain on it
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Montygti

Post by Montygti »

Ive already bought one of the yamaha bevel boxes. I want to do what this guy has done but just not sure how to attach a sprocket to it or what size sprocket to use. http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/dyna-trike/#!
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Post a picture of the bevel box,
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Montygti

Post by Montygti »

Picture as requested. Its the splined shaft i need to attach a sprocket too. I also dont know what size sprocket to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Montygti wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:31 pm Picture as requested. Its the splined shaft i need to attach a sprocket too. I also dont know what size sprocket to use.
Can't advise on sprockets as you are going to have to establish the output shaft ratio from the engine gearbox, then any reduction in the bevel box and the diff ratio together with the wheel / tyre size to establish overall potential ratio. The Hardly pictures linked above look to be 1:1 across the sprockets?

If you are REALLY lucky, a normal bike sprocket might actually fit the spines of the bevel box - solid welding not good as sprockets do wear out then you are up sh*t creek! How about drilling & tapping the end for retention bolt / washer?
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Wot he said ^^^^

Just thinking about the various combinations of ratios, and the associated maths, is making my head hurt.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

re attaching sprocket you could depending on the direction of drive attache it to the drive flange, i would sugest on the rear, and adapt the spline end to the input shaft of the diff this way you could have a plate made and drilled to mount what ever sprocket you like maybe the one from the rear wheel of the original bike.