Chopper's trike.

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Chopper303

Re: Chopper's trike.

Post by Chopper303 »

Next bit to make was the mounting for the stud that will go through the cones and be bolted down tight. This is a 16mm stainless steel threaded bar. I turned the socket up out of an old offcut. Biggest I had was 50mm diameter. So ad to make do with that. Stuck it in the lathe and cleaned it up with some emery, then drilled right through, end to end M8. Then marked out the centre of the sideand drilled a 12mm hole into the side until it met with the end to end hole. Next I turned the end of the threaded rod down to 12mm and was very careful to make it a tight fit. The fifth hole in the mounting plates is where this will be mounted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

The block with the threaded bar is, mounts between the two plates. As the block is mounted with a single M8 bolt through the middle, I can adjust the block and secure it in place at whatever angle I want the rake to be. All of it is made to a close tolerance so it is snug and doesn't wobble around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

So that is the main frame jig components made. Other parts will need fabricating as and when I add things like the engine and gearbox. Been into town this afternoon and got myself a new welding mask as my old one has finally died. Not bad after 28 years of faithful service. I can now do the final welding on the main jig which won't take long to do.

Next up is to try out my new engine hoist and lift the engine and gearbox up so I can split them, before lining up th engine on the jig.
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

jinjachin wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 pm thats a nice workshop mines a sh@t hole compaired to yours . ive read a lot of threads of your sisters on the brit chopper forum
Hi and thanks Jinj.

The workshop looks a bit of a mess at the moment as I have boxes of parts waiting for polishing for my Bandit on the big table. There is also boxes of stuff i have collected for the trike build, a pile of stuff that I have dragged out of my parts bin that are all going on Ebay. I do try to keep things tidy and generally clean up after working. Especially clean all the tools I have been using and put them away. I know where every single spanner, screwdriver, socket etc is in my tool cabinet. I have been known to throw hammers at anybody that takes something out of the cabinet and doesn't replace it exactly as it was. (Mrs Chopper is banned from my tool cabinet).

Chopper
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

old git wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:31 pm hi mate i am in surrey not far from the old guards depot as to what i do like yourself retired but restore classic mini,s and build trikes and do a bit of trimming.I served from 1968 to 1992 only left when they wouldent take me for the first Gulf war realised i wasent a soldier any more put in my ticket and left. :thumbsup: my trike build is under newby build of a yamaha xvs 650.
Only a Guardsman will remember/regret/fear what was once known as The Guards Depot. I went back as a Trained Soldier for a while. I remember my passing out parade and feeling ten feet tall. I got Best at Drill, Best Kit, Best Shot, still have the awards somewhere. I was lucky during basic as I used to run and swim for the county before I joined up, so I was already very fit. The instructors still made me ache in places I didn't know I could ache. I volunteered to go ceremonial and was mad keen to go. Unfortunately, on the ranges I had instructors watching me and keeping an eye on my scores. They decided that I wasn't going ceremonial just yet. Swines sent me on a sniper course straight after basic training. I didn't even know I could shoot until I was on the ranges. Did the Sniper course at Thetford then qualified at Bisley, before going on my tank driver course. Was at the Regiment in Windsor for several months before they let me go to Knightsbridge. Loved every minute of it, especially the training. I was always in the top three in the regiment on the BFT. Not a day goes by when I don't miss it.

When you say "Trimming" do you mean upholstery? I only ask because I do a lot of leatherwork. Mostly fetish gear but I make stuff for back patch clubs (No names), like waistcoats, belts etc. I will have a look at your build thread.

cheers buddy

Chopper
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

Maz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:17 pm Hi Big Bruv :cuddle:

Nice to see the workshop so tidy - your new jig is coming along nicely, won't be long until you start mocking things up and laying down some frame rails :beer:

Lil sister Maz x
Cheeky mare, my workshop is always tidy, just sometimes tidier than other times. Good to see you made it here Lil Sis. Glad you like the jig.

Big Bruv xxx
mrhutch

Post by mrhutch »

old git wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:31 pm hi mate i am in surrey not far from the old guards depot as to what i do like yourself retired but restore classic mini,s and build trikes and do a bit of trimming.I served from 1968 to 1992 only left when they wouldent take me for the first Gulf war realised i wasent a soldier any more put in my ticket and left. :thumbsup: my trike build is under newby build of a yamaha xvs 650.
thank you both for your service
mrhutch

Post by mrhutch »

Maz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:17 pm Hi Big Bruv :cuddle:

Nice to see the workshop so tidy - your new jig is coming along nicely, won't be long until you start mocking things up and laying down some frame rails :beer:

Lil sister Maz x
only a matter of time!!! How you doing Maz?
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

I would love a work shop that big mine is 26ft long by 14ft wide but narrows to 7ft at the back as we are on a corner plot
the engine hoist is a good one iv got one and they fold up nicely for storing
will be watching this tread to learn some more things
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

Yes i do mean motor upholstery seats, head linings and such but used to do leather work i repaired the state landow when the Queen came to Berlin on her silver jubily, my work is still there,did leather carving on belts and such.All my tools I gave to a good friend who lost his leg in the Falklands I had done some work with him before we went and encouraged him after his injury he went to the london school of arts and became a master saddler sadly he was killed in a hunting accident but we maintain contact with his wife.REST IN PEACE ANDY