rear suspension on metro trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
lonewolf01

rear suspension on metro trike

Post by lonewolf01 »

hi, have old austin metro trike useing the front sub frame and running gear the hydralastic units are
leaking and hard to get replacements would coilovers work and if so what ones would be good, it was running well with the hydralastic happy new year to all thanks.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Re: rear suspension on metro trike

Post by ratwing »

I can't see why coilovers wouldn't work but as for what ones and what brackets and mounts'll need making, unless someone here knows you could try looking on one of the Mini forums?
lonewolf01

Post by lonewolf01 »

hi ratwing thanks I can make any brackets and mounts I see protec do mini coilover kits if anyone knows if they are any good I could make fit. thanks again.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

hi i am into mini,s have seven but not familiar with the metro sub frame set up but if mini coil overs will fit i would personally fit original rubber donuts as unless going for track day set up the the progressive nature is preferable across the board. but i don't know if if the would retro fit to a metro sub frame.
lonewolf01

Post by lonewolf01 »

hi old git thanks metro is not the same as mini suspension hydralastic units are a lot bigger in size I will have a look seee if if I can get rubber donuts for the austin metro thanks .
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Don't think you'll find any - would have been considered a backward step! Also don't forget you'll be shedding quite a bit of weight so softer likely required - I'd use coil over solution. Gear change will be interesting!
lonewolf01

Post by lonewolf01 »

hi Kawazuki, have been running with hydralastic since build 30 +years ago run well has a 1275 austin metro with good lift I found it can stay with any trikes on bends or bad roads, the gear change you go under gearbox and past it about 6 inch put a 3 inch rise plate on and come back into the box works good, I have just found recon units in telford thank to all for your help folks ride safe LONEWOLF01
ps been over to a few shows with this trike 25 years or so ago might get back again sometime.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

hi trawling through my mini contacts i found a guy that breaks metro,s his name is tim and his tel no is 078551 420787 i have dealt with via ebay and can recommend