car engined trikes

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
dirth

Post by dirth »

remember what front wheel drive car had the handbrake on the front wheels (possibly citroen).
mostly Renaults,18/20/25/30 some 5
Clios ,Meganes Senics....rear I think
panheadpete
Part of the Furniture

Post by panheadpete »

Austin/Morris 1800 landcrab, if you can find one;
Basically a MGB engine so tough as, with a world of tuning bits available
Heavy though, and wide
Even had an auto version
Be different, be....a victim of the Landcrab O.C. How Very Dare You Chapter
Maybe the much-loved (!) Princess/Ambassador - dunno, never owned/broken one.
Cheers,
Pete
dirth

Post by dirth »

If you use the older Audi setup,better if it's an auto then you get an engine in front of the transmission same as (some) Renaults, a kind of mid engined trike.....the setup gives a better balanced more even trike
biker69
Part of the Furniture

Post by biker69 »

all that is required for a hand brake on the A series mini based trikes (850-1275 drum brake models) is to use the rear hub back plates then opening out the large centre hole so that they fit onto the front.

have seen one of the old straight 6 cylinder B series in a trike so this may also apply to those as well.
Greylag
Part of the Furniture

Citroen 2CV

Post by Greylag »

Hello All,

The Citroen 2CV has 2 versions one with discs and one with drums but both are front wheel drive. The handbrake is on the discs and the engine will fit into a trike no problem, I know I ride one with the 2CV engine and my mate also has a 2CV based one.

The problem with the 2CV is the age, althought they are extremely robust and apparently long lasting they stopped making them in 1990 althought there is a firm called "Burton Cars" who bought the original machinery and do still refurbish the engines but at a price, if you look on fleabay they do an uprated 2CV engine but it'll set you back £650 and your engine in exchange.

Loads of spares about for them both new and second hand but sometimes expensive due to them being collectors cars. The 2CV can be soft tailed easily but it does have a slow top speed around 65mph - 70mph max with 3 weeks run up :) if you want speed go for one of the other engines but having said that I love mine.

I had a Honda engined trike that was fastish but the hardtail which was bad on my back and pushing it backwards out of car parks etc was a pain in the arris. I find the 2CV much better with the reverse and suspension and trust me the roads round here are that crap you need the soft tail.

Regards
Dave
dirth

Post by dirth »

BurtonCars
They do a fair bit of stuff , the site has an English Language setting

http://www.burtoncar.nl/
biker69
Part of the Furniture

Post by biker69 »

Greylag wrote:Hello All,

The Citroen 2CV has 2 versions one with discs and one with drums but both are front wheel drive. The handbrake is on the discs and the engine will fit into a trike no problem, I know I ride one with the 2CV engine and my mate also has a 2CV based one.

The problem with the 2CV is the age, althought they are extremely robust and apparently long lasting they stopped making them in 1990 althought there is a firm called "Burton Cars" who bought the original machinery and do still refurbish the engines but at a price, if you look on fleabay they do an uprated 2CV engine but it'll set you back £650 and your engine in exchange.

Loads of spares about for them both new and second hand but sometimes expensive due to them being collectors cars. The 2CV can be soft tailed easily but it does have a slow top speed around 65mph - 70mph max with 3 weeks run up :) if you want speed go for one of the other engines but having said that I love mine.

I had a Honda engined trike that was fastish but the hardtail which was bad on my back and pushing it backwards out of car parks etc was a pain in the arris. I find the 2CV much better with the reverse and suspension and trust me the roads round here are that crap you need the soft tail.

Regards
Dave
better to be 10 minutes late in this life than 30 years early in the next...
Greylag
Part of the Furniture

Post by Greylag »

biker69 wrote:better to be 10 minutes late in this life than 30 years early in the next...
Aye I completely agree Biker. I remember a mate not so long back was telling me that he'd been talking to a mate of his who did something like 160mph at one point on a run he went on, so my mate asked him what he saw, his reply was nothing, speed is not necessarily the best way to go.

Regards
Dave
biker69
Part of the Furniture

Post by biker69 »

found this and thought it might be useful in helping find a suitable donor car as it shows cut-aways of boat loads of 'em. click on the pics to enlarge.

http://www.cartype.com/pages/230
biker69
Part of the Furniture

Re: car engined trikes

Post by biker69 »

another candidate is the Hyundai matrix 1600 auto which is front wheel drive.