Keswick Biker Cafe suffers planning discrimination

We've all got a Bike/Trike friendly cafe or pub that we, or our friends use . Now is your chance to share it with everyone else
Tinbasher
Part of the Furniture

Keswick Biker Cafe suffers planning discrimination

Post by Tinbasher »

The Filling Station Cafe in Keswick has lost yet another battle to be treated equally in the Lake District Planning Board's eyes. Although popular with walkers, cyclists and families the cafe is knows as "biker friendly" the owner himself is a biker.

When they recently applied to open late objections were made about the "bad behaviour" of bikers such as littering noise and urinating in public!!!

The planning board has made very different decisions in respect of very similar establishments who DO NOT mention that motorcyclists are welcome.

I think that this is almost entirely based on stereotyping bikers as some kind of yob and needs to be fought against.

I don't have any interest in this other than as a disabled trike rider who enjoyed good food and accessible facilities in a friendly welcoming atmosphere.

THE WOOKIE

The Power of Beer

Post by THE WOOKIE »

Hi Tinbasher,

There is nothing as fickle as a planning council interlaced with a National Park. Also there may be the problem of conflicting interest with the pub, one of its "regulars" and OBN. I wish you luck with the battle but unless you come up with a stronger argument the closed ranks of one of the poshest areas outside Sloane Square will sadly always have the upper hand.
Tinbasher
Part of the Furniture

Post by Tinbasher »

THE WOOKIE wrote:Hi Tinbasher,

There is nothing as fickle as a planning council interlaced with a National Park. Also there may be the problem of conflicting interest with the pub, one of its "regulars" and OBN. I wish you luck with the battle but unless you come up with a stronger argument the closed ranks of one of the poshest areas outside Sloane Square will sadly always have the upper hand.
Just heard today that they have won the latest appeal and now allowed late opening but with strict limits such as no sitting at the tables outside despite the pub directly across having just gotten planning for a beer garden.

You are dead right Wookie one or two connected people are allowed to wield an awful lot of power and influence.
THE WOOKIE

Post by THE WOOKIE »

Good news, part of the way towards the end result. Perhaps that is the best way, doing it a bit at a time. It should not have to be like this of course, but it is in many situations. Never say die Tinbasher, never say die.