What have you done to your Trike today... (2019)

The place to chill and chat about anything
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Re: What have you done to your Trike today... (2019)

Post by Skidmark »

not yet been following this post
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by gorbee01279 »

Skidmark wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 pm not yet been following this post
OK,i've dug out my bike lift to give a more stable working platform & as usual one thing leads to another & had to grease it all up but at least it's under the trike now & ready for the arrival of the brake cylinders which i hope will cure the problem? our brake saga continues :bang: if it does i will post a detailed description of what i did & what i used so hopefully my dilemma will help you out.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

You could always carry a ship's anchor with a short chain. :hide:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

gorbee01279 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:57 pm
Skidmark wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 pm not yet been following this post
OK,i've dug out my bike lift to give a more stable working platform & as usual one thing leads to another & had to grease it all up but at least it's under the trike now & ready for the arrival of the brake cylinders which i hope will cure the problem? our brake saga continues :bang: if it does i will post a detailed description of what i did & what i used so hopefully my dilemma will help you out.
Which size cylinders are you using, mine is back to stock VW swing axle rear end 19mm dia cylinders, trried 22mm front cylinders but not a lot of differance, then changed the master cylinder to 3/4" Harley type from the standard one made it a bit better but still got to apply a lot of push on the peddle to stop thats why I will try a servo just to relieve the amount of pressure that has to be applied
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Master cylinder bore is 3/4 land rover type & will be putting 22mm slave cylinders on when they arrive, as to what's on there now i don't know until i take them off as they came with the trike & didn't think to look before i fitted them. As for a servo i know people who have fitted them but as said previously it doesn't improve the braking just the amount of pressure needed so if it helps your knee can only be a bonus. As yourself i have been reading numerous threads on other sites about this the only thing that cropped up other than what's been said is that sometimes the drums may have a little lip inside the inner & outer edge so if you file an angle on the edges & ends of the shoes it combates this problem, i have done my old shoes just in case & also by doing this it creates a little leading edge which vw shoes don't have....
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

when I built the trike I put all new shoes, cylinders and mechanism, bought as a kit from VW Heritage. 19mm rear cylinders and now 3/4 " harley style master, tried 22mm slaves and thought the original Harley master cylinder which came from and 883 sporster did not have enough umpth to operate them so changed to the 3/4" but that did not make much difference so changed back to 19mm rear slaves, better but not excellent
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Barry, deep diver uses the original vw master which is 19mm & he can lock his rears up with ease so a 3/4 is going to be ample umpth to push 19mm or 22mm slaves so i still think that's not our problem.New cylinders just arrived so go at it tomorrow & C what happens will keep U posted if i discover anything new.
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

Didn't really do much, reversed it out of the garage to do some rearranging then drove it back in, :hide: , is it wrong to just stand there and do nothing but breathe in the fumes :eek: :beer: :hoofle: :hoofle:
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

spent the last 4 hours sat on my ass on the footplate of my mates boom trike doing a total rewire, tonight's section was wiring up the new handle bar switch gear
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Skidmark wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:26 pm spent the last 4 hours sat on my ass on the footplate of my mates boom trike doing a total rewire, tonight's section was wiring up the new handle bar switch gear
Been having a read up about our brakes & noticed your master cylinder is mounted quite low,if it's below the rear slave cylinders which i think it may well be they suggest a 10psi residual valve to be fitted as near to the master cylinder as possible, maybe worth a try for the sake of £16.50 although mine is higher under the false tank i am going to give it a try, nothing to lose, I believe Old git has something similar fitted to his trike.