FIBERGLASS BODY

The place to chill and chat about anything
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

FIBERGLASS BODY

Post by lepchaun »

Morning iv bought a mould so i can have a go at making a fiberglass body for the VW trike so any advice on how to do it will be gratefully recieved also advice on what not to do iv never used fiberglass before so treat as a total novice just like a kid going to school or the first time as iv googled it loads and u get some conflicting advice like using releaseing wax then releasing pva on top off that so anyone that has done a fair bit of it what did you do first from start to finishing in order of how its done like making sure the mould is clean then waxing it then do i use releasing pva on top of that then mix the clear resin with catalyst hardener and the pigment powder paint then spred the mix on the body then the matting then another coat of the mix then another layer of matting and carry on like this till im happy with the thickness of it hopefully thats the order of things comments good and bad please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lepchaun

Re: FIBERGLASS BODY

Post by lepchaun »

thats it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Never tryed fiberglassing before I'm really interested to see how it's done good luck lep
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Just wax it well first with a good mould release wax,i used to do around 5 0r 6 coats, U know the saying wax on wax off then 2 coats of your desired colour Gel coat,let that dry overnight then first lay some fine matting then two to three layers of heavier stuff but work fast making sure you get all those air bubbles out with your roller or you will have problems later,all this is how i used to make my MK 3 Cortina wings years ago.I was wondering why you didn't opt for a new SGF body they do the same as the one you've got for £250???? it's going to cost that + for materials for you to complete yours,that's why i stopped making my wings and things it was cheaper to buy direct after you take material & time into consideration.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

gorbee01279 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am Just wax it well first with a good mould release wax,i used to do around 5 0r 6 coats, U know the saying wax on wax off then 2 coats of your desired colour Gel coat,let that dry overnight then first lay some fine matting then two to three layers of heavier stuff but work fast making sure you get all those air bubbles out with your roller or you will have problems later,all this is how i used to make my MK 3 Cortina wings years ago.I was wondering why you didn't opt for a new SGF body they do the same as the one you've got for £250???? it's going to cost that + for materials for you to complete yours,that's why i stopped making my wings and things it was cheaper to buy direct after you take material & time into consideration.
Gorbee do you mean the same body as the mould or the body that's on the trike as the mould is the kind of body we want iv been searching on google and only found 1 matching on ebay and lost out on bidding if u have any links it would be appreciated when u say 2 Coates of colour gel coat what exactly it that is it the resin with hardener in then mix the colour we want in in another words is gel another word for resin
i was talking to barry and from what i understand if i get the colour pigment powder that we want i can mix the colour powder in with the resin mix so i wont have to have it sprayed
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

lepchaun wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:10 pm
gorbee01279 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am Just wax it well first with a good mould release wax,i used to do around 5 0r 6 coats, U know the saying wax on wax off then 2 coats of your desired colour Gel coat,let that dry overnight then first lay some fine matting then two to three layers of heavier stuff but work fast making sure you get all those air bubbles out with your roller or you will have problems later,all this is how i used to make my MK 3 Cortina wings years ago.I was wondering why you didn't opt for a new SGF body they do the same as the one you've got for £250???? it's going to cost that + for materials for you to complete yours,that's why i stopped making my wings and things it was cheaper to buy direct after you take material & time into consideration.
Gorbee do you mean the same body as the mould or the body that's on the trike as the mould is the kind of body we want iv been searching on google and only found 1 matching on ebay and lost out on bidding if u have any links it would be appreciated when u say 2 Coates of colour gel coat what exactly it that is it the resin with hardener in then mix the colour we want in in another words is gel another word for resin
i was talking to barry and from what i understand if i get the colour pigment powder that we want i can mix the colour powder in with the resin mix so i wont have to have it sprayed
have u any links to a good wax as im a little out of my depth here but as usual im willing to learn but u have to have a lot of patience with me :hide:
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Lep,google SGF trikes looking at what they sell they have the same one as your mould or very close to it.Gel coat is the first thing you paint onto the mould after waxing & before you start fibreglassing it creates a smooth finish between your mould & top layer of fibreglass you by it ready mixed to your desired colour with the hardener but you can buy white gel coat and add pigment powder as Barry said,but to be honest i would look at SGF first it will save you a lot of work and expense.Saying all this looking at your mould it's going to need some work to those patchy areas were it's stuck previously to get a first class finish without having to paint it.Hope this explains it a little clearer.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Just tap in mould releasing wax into flea bay there's loads.
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

gorbee01279 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:32 pm Lep,google SGF trikes looking at what they sell they have the same one as your mould or very close to it.Gel coat is the first thing you paint onto the mould after waxing & before you start fibreglassing it creates a smooth finish between your mould & top layer of fibreglass you by it ready mixed to your desired colour with the hardener but you can buy white gel coat and add pigment powder as Barry said,but to be honest i would look at SGF first it will save you a lot of work and expense.Saying all this looking at your mould it's going to need some work to those patchy areas were it's stuck previously to get a first class finish without having to paint it.Hope this explains it a little clearer.
Thanks i just found the site for them 250plus vat sent them a message will hold off on the making of a body to c what reply i get
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

if you you do make one make sure you use a good mask and when you are rubbing down never wash your self with hot water as it opens your pores allowing the fibers to got in your skin . i seem To remember some one making a body for a goldwing on here but caint remember who it was