What have you done to your Trike today... (2023)

The place to chill and chat about anything
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

What have you done to your Trike today... (2023)

Post by 1130cc »

Happy New Year.

A new year so a new thread.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: What have you done to your Trike today... (2023)

Post by gorbee01279 »

Treated Saucey Sue to a new cover, old one looking tatty & faded.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

We've an old pressed alloy GB plate on our trike but Boris said we're the UK now not GB so you can't use them if you want to go abroad. I haven't found a metal UK plate so made one, I cut out an oval of aluminium to fit a sticker I bought and finished making the fixings today.
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

starter.jpg
replaced my battery as when trying to start it was behaving as if it had no guts, found out it was the starter so replaced it with one from a Skoda, machined the thickness of the mounting flange and bolted straight on, no need to worry about the brass starter bush any more as same design as a heavy duty one
starter motor 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Skidmark on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Started making a dummy fuel tank, to cover the distributor and carb, probably required for MSVA. It's 1mm steel, and I tried Tig welding it, which worked in places but i'm crap at Tig so lots of holes produced. and grinding required.
44B7AD58-C889-4891-8647-BF2C66D4C31D.jpeg
0BB0E5EF-04E0-40AD-9AE5-E54B55A4DDEB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Looking good so far
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

Today I fixed the charge warning light.
It doesn't go out until you blip the throttle, it's been like that since we've had it and presumably has been ever since the first owner wired it up. But the alternator works just fine, no charging problems so haven't worried about it.
I recently found out that on older non self-exciting alternators the warning light has to draw enough current to excite the windings on start up so just as an experiment I unplugged the old one, one of those cheap and nasty one piece things with a little non replaceable bulb and ran some wires to a different one with a 2 watt bulb and as soon as the engine fired up it went out. Result!
A bigger hole for the new one and some proper wiring connections and that's it, job done.
Mal

Post by Mal »

Well researched, good job. :thumbsup:
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

ratwing wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:59 pm Today I fixed the charge warning light.
It doesn't go out until you blip the throttle.....
My Reliant trike was like that. It was the first of many little problems I tackled on it, cleaned wires, connections measures voltages etc etc, nothing worked.

Then I mentioned it to the previous owner and he said it needed a good blip of the throttle to kick it into action. I should have known that already, I'd had the same problem on a hot rod I built years ago.🙄

Anyway, I decided to leave it as it was, as it acted a bit like a fast idle when the motor was fired up from cold, let it run at higher rpm as it warmed up, without the alternator loading the engine up. The choke lever would normally do that, but mine didn't work properly...
9620339E-D582-4037-BB78-D99CBED15EB9.jpeg
Twanny

Post by Twanny »

Stripped my trike's CV carburetor for a varnish degung, cleaned all the jets and recharged my K&N air filter. Good couple of hours work. Getting ready to MOT the trike hopefully in a couple of weeks 😬