MOT & fitting a new front tyre to Harley Tri Glide Ultra

The place to chill and chat about anything
livingthedream

MOT & fitting a new front tyre to Harley Tri Glide Ultra

Post by livingthedream »

I have my first MOT coming up within the next month and with only 5,800 miles on the clock I should not have too many concerns particularly as I had a 5k service on it only last year. And, hands up, I am only a fair weather retired/arthritic old git triker.

Pic is of the old git with his daughter.
Old git triker with daughter on the back.jpg
Firstly, its taken a while to find out where I can actually get a MOT done on it :bang:
But finally, and I live in Gloucester, it appears that a company by the name of Ley-Dat Services, in Innsworth will do it.
I plan to drive out next week and introduce myself. As well as find out the cost.
My only concern however is the tread remaining on the front tyre. I am getting close to 2mm in places at the centre point. But, hands up again, I do ride the trike hard and I do a lot of windy country roads. Even so... I would perhaps have expected a bit more mileage out of the tyre. Or perhaps not?
The front tyre is a 16" Harley standard fitting Dunlop D402F MT90B 72H.
Now, many will say exchange like for like but I have done a bit of googling and come across the following tyre..
Avon Cobra Chrome and it appears highly rated by many.
So, do you rate it?. Will it give me extra mileage, assuming I ride it as hard as I have done in the past?
Finally, I have never had a trike tyre change. I am assuming most m/cycle outlets do this as the front is little different from those of a two wheeler?
The most local dealership is Frazers a couple of miles away so I'll try them tomorrow.
Any advice on any of the above is most welcome.
Happy riding one and all! :thumbsup:
John in Gloucester
p.s. I note there is a thread entitled "Where to get an MOT". Should my MOT through Ley-Dat go ok I will add their details to that thread. If there are others in Gloucester that some of you may be aware of then I am all ears.
p.s. The rears on my trike have 7mm on them. So all good there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in Gloucester
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: MOT & fitting a new front tyre to Harley Tri Glide Ultra

Post by lepchaun »

Hi i put avon cobra trike tyre on my goldwing the difference was amazing milage doubled and steering was lighter but make sure it says trike on the side wall of the tyre as a lot of bike tyres been passed off as trike tyres just so they can up the price
livingthedream

Post by livingthedream »

lepchaun wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:19 am Hi i put avon cobra trike tyre on my goldwing the difference was amazing milage doubled and steering was lighter but make sure it says trike on the side wall of the tyre as a lot of bike tyres been passed off as trike tyres just so they can up the price
Many thanks for your reply lepchaun! :)
p.s. Its a minefield trying to marry up a Avon Cobra Trike spec tyre vis my current Dunlop.
As mentioned my Dunlop specs are D402F MT90B16 72H so I'm assuming this translates to a 130/60 ?
Finally, you mention making sure the Avon Cobra side wall features 'trike' on it. I have seen some with and some without.. which is confusing. Is this because those without 'trlke' on the sidewalls are therefore not meant for a trike then?
John in Gloucester
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Min depth for bike tyre is 1.6mm - but a new one is never a bad thing come MOT time!
livingthedream

Post by livingthedream »

Kawazuki wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:34 pm Min depth for bike tyre is 1.6mm - but a new one is never a bad thing come MOT time!
Thanks Kawazuki,
Yep.. 2mm is saying... change me now :thumbsup:
John in Gloucester
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

avon mt90b16 74h front tubeless cobra trike av 71 2110011 90000025025 these numbers are taken from the label from my tyre which I kept glued to my workshop door hope this helps
livingthedream

Post by livingthedream »

old git wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:07 pm avon mt90b16 74h front tubeless cobra trike av 71 2110011 90000025025 these numbers are taken from the label from my tyre which I kept glued to my workshop door hope this helps
Definitely helps and many thanks 😊
P.S. A nightmare trying to find a tyre fitter in Gloucester area. 😞
Was advised Pro Tyres who directed me to Chris Mullins who directed me to Frazers who directed me to Mantra who directed me to a fitter in.. Coleford.. 22 miles away. I guess I will have to use Harley themselves in Cheltenham. God knows what I will be quoted 😱
John in Gloucester
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

If you can take a loose wheel in, most places will do it while you wait - it's the faffing around with a fitted wheel that turns them off!
livingthedream

Post by livingthedream »

Kawazuki wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:07 pm If you can take a loose wheel in, most places will do it while you wait - it's the faffing around with a fitted wheel that turns them off!
Thanks Kawazuki 😊
John in Gloucester
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

livingthedream wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:55 am
lepchaun wrote: ↑Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:19 am Hi i put avon cobra trike tyre on my goldwing the difference was amazing milage doubled and steering was lighter but make sure it says trike on the side wall of the tyre as a lot of bike tyres been passed off as trike tyres just so they can up the price
Many thanks for your reply lepchaun! :)
p.s. Its a minefield trying to marry up a Avon Cobra Trike spec tyre vis my current Dunlop.
As mentioned my Dunlop specs are D402F MT90B16 72H so I'm assuming this translates to a 130/60 ?
Finally, you mention making sure the Avon Cobra side wall features 'trike' on it. I have seen some with and some without.. which is confusing. Is this because those without 'trlke' on the sidewalls are therefore not meant for a trike then?
its not that there not meant for a trike there just normal bike tyre witch fits and works on a trike same as what u have on but a proper trike tyre cost more and sellers will advertise a bike tyre as a trike tyre and charge u more for it