Riding in Europe Part 2

The place to chill and chat about anything
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Riding in Europe Part 2

Post by Deep Diver »

Had a customer years ago get banned for life from driving in Germany for doing around 200mph in a cosworth he'd had chipped. Only way they could get him was shut the autobahn at the Swiss end
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

I wonder if he thought he was on an unrestricted section when he wasn't?
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

I forgot about paying for stuff abroad - if we don't want to or can't use cash, we use a Halifax Clarity credit card because they don't charge fees. (this isn't an advert for Halifax, I expect there's other cards offering the same but it just happens to be the one we've got). Just remember to pay in euros NOT sterling if offered the choice because if you choose sterling you'll get whatever exchange rate the shop/bar/hotel etc give which most likely won't be as good as the Mastercard rate.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

ratwing wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:35 pm I forgot about paying for stuff abroad - if we don't want to or can't use cash, we use a Halifax Clarity credit card because they don't charge fees. (this isn't an advert for Halifax, I expect there's other cards offering the same but it just happens to be the one we've got). Just remember to pay in euros NOT sterling if offered the choice because if you choose sterling you'll get whatever exchange rate the shop/bar/hotel etc give which most likely won't be as good as the Mastercard rate.
Years ago my son went on holiday to the EU and got a prepaid card with a set amount of euros on it. He said it was a easy to do at his bank.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Baddon

Post by Baddon »

Thinking of taking the RF1 to Spain direct from Rosslare, Ireland. Anyone any hints or tips?
If your not living life on the edge your taking up to much room
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

It'd be worth checking out if it's still the case that petrol is hard to find on a Sunday (it was but this was decades ago).
Spain is thinking about making gloves and full face/flip front helmets compulsory (so no open face lids) for motorcyclists. Does Spain count trikes as motorcycles, I don't know but probably.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Baddon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:40 pm Thinking of taking the RF1 to Spain direct from Rosslare, Ireland. Anyone any hints or tips?
1. Book a 4 berth cabin for that extra room to stow your bike gear.
2. Try the cocktail of the week in the bar.
3. Dont try and be first down the stairs to get to your trike when you get to Spain or you'll end up stuck on the stairs sweating like a fat lad in a chip shop for the next 30 mins.
4. Enjoy it.

:thumbsup:
Baddon

Post by Baddon »

Aztec wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:38 pm
Baddon wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:40 pm Thinking of taking the RF1 to Spain direct from Rosslare, Ireland. Anyone any hints or tips?
1. Book a 4 berth cabin for that extra room to stow your bike gear.
2. Try the cocktail of the week in the bar.
3. Dont try and be first down the stairs to get to your trike when you get to Spain or you'll end up stuck on the stairs sweating like a fat lad in a chip shop for the next 30 mins.
4. Enjoy it.

:thumbsup:
Cheers Aztec, been on the DFDS to Holland several times so know some of your tips are from experience, thanks.
If your not living life on the edge your taking up to much room
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Sorry i thought you were going on the Brittany ferries to Spain lol.
PRacks68

Post by PRacks68 »

Please excuse me if I have missed the answer to my question:-

I noticed the replies concerning riding a Trike in Europe on a full car licence is only mentioned as to an Able bodied rider. I ride a trike on a full car licence but I am registered disabled. Does this make a difference to riding in Europe?