Trike towing dolly

Just upgraded and want to sell your old stuff, then this is the place to post.
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

Trike towing dolly

Post by ravnali »

A mate of mine has this on his FB page, don't know anything about it but someone might be interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322956916614 ... 1558.l2649
UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Re: Trike towing dolly

Post by UGLYMICK »

i use this type of dolly to tow infernos as its safer than the dollys without wheels that fit on your towbar
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

what weight would it take and how high would the front wheel b off the ground as my exhaust ar pretty low at the back and im wondering if id still have enough clearance at the rear would b a lot easier than using a trailer for the future
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

UGLYMICK wrote:i use this type of dolly to tow infernos as its safer than the dollys without wheels that fit on your towbar
mick in ur expierence would this b ok to use for a goldwing 1500 im thinking about the propshaft going round while the engine is not running could it cause damage to the internal gears and cogs
miniondave
Part of the Furniture

Post by miniondave »

I'd be interested.
Added to my watch list.
Will see if any bids are put on in a couple of days.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
knockdolian
Part of the Furniture

Post by knockdolian »

lepchaun wrote:
UGLYMICK wrote:i use this type of dolly to tow infernos as its safer than the dollys without wheels that fit on your towbar
mick in ur expierence would this b ok to use for a goldwing 1500 im thinking about the propshaft going round while the engine is not running could it cause damage to the internal gears and cogs
Manual gear box in neutral would be fine. No difference from suspend towing a car. It’s auto boxes or some boxes that are fed oil by a mechanical pump run off the engine (HGV) that’s why the Propshaft has to be removed
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

knockdolian wrote:
lepchaun wrote:
Manual gear box in neutral would be fine. No difference from suspend towing a car. It’s auto boxes or some boxes that are fed oil by a mechanical pump run off the engine (HGV) that’s why the Propshaft has to be removed
thanks knockdolian i will do some lifting of the front wheel and c how much clearence the exhausts have at the back form the ground
knockdolian
Part of the Furniture

Post by knockdolian »

lepchaun wrote:thanks knockdolian i will do some lifting of the front wheel and c how much clearence the
exhausts have at the back form the ground

One thing you should be aware of using one of these is they should only be used for recovery. Because your bike/trike has brakes on the axle on the ground it needs to be operated when the towing vehicle brakes are applied. I know that reads and sounds total bollocks but I found that out when I was looking to tow my trike to IOM for the TT. I bought one then read somewhere I couldn’t. I may have that totally wrong but that’s how I read it. Do some research and see what you find. I’m sure others will comment.
Good luck
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

Post by ravnali »

knockdolian wrote:
lepchaun wrote:thanks knockdolian i will do some lifting of the front wheel and c how much clearence the
exhausts have at the back form the ground

One thing you should be aware of using one of these is they should only be used for recovery. Because your bike/trike has brakes on the axle on the ground it needs to be operated when the towing vehicle brakes are applied. I know that reads and sounds total bollocks but I found that out when I was looking to tow my trike to IOM for the TT. I bought one then read somewhere I couldn’t. I may have that totally wrong but that’s how I read it. Do some research and see what you find. I’m sure others will comment.
Good luck
Here you go, pick the bones out of this! (from a boat owners site)
Brakes
Braking requirements are prescribed in Regulations 15 and 16 of The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 as amended and essentially require a trailer with a maximum design laden weight of more 750 kg to be braked and allow an inertia (overrun) type braking system to be used up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kg. In use it is not permitted to use an unbraked trailer the laden weight of which exceeds 50% of the kerbside weight of the towing vehicle. For trailers up to 1500kg laden weight it is permitted to use a secondary coupling, which in the event of separation (NOT failure) of the main coupling will retain the trailer attached to the towing vehicle, prevent the nose of the trailer from touching the ground and provide some residual steering of the trailer. Above 1500 kg laden weight the trailer must be fitted with a device to stop the trailer automatically in the event of separation (NOT failure) of the main coupling and this is normally achieved by a breakaway cable attached to the parking brake mechanism – the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle.
Read more at http://www.pbo.co.uk/expert-advice/tip- ... ykbyt7e.99
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

Oh right, for a minute there I thought about chewing my leg off. Thinking of getting one from Fastrikes without any wheels.
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono: