Jeep on last legs

The place to chill and chat about anything
Ghoulie
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Jeep on last legs

Post by Ghoulie »

Sadly my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 on its last legs at 200,000 miles. Had it from new & had my monies worth out of her. Too many bits going wrong and a few advisories at last mot that will cost. So, I've bitten the bullet and found a Porsche Cayenne S 2006 V8 with only 47,000 miles at a good price & bought it. £500 for the jeep in p/ex - & no doubt it will be scrapped to make more in parts.
jinjachin

Re: Jeep on last legs

Post by jinjachin »

200000 miles ide hate to think how much £ in fuel that would be :eek:. A chap who worked with me had the cayenne he said it was the best car he ever had but the fuel was killing him so he sold it but I would imagine it will be similar to what you are used too
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Jeep ran on lpg - runs at 60% of the cost of petrol.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Ghoulie wrote:Jeep ran on lpg - runs at 60% of the cost of petrol.
You also only get around 65% of the bhp. We had loads fitted in the forklifts, 2lt ohc mazda which on petrol was around 100 bhp, on lpg topped out at 35 bhp at 2200 rpm.

Did you ever have issues with the valve seats?
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Jeep would do 230 miles consistently against a fill up of 55 litres of LPG - and power never been a problem with a V8 4.7 litre - overtook at kickdown as fast as you wanted on LPG. The only time you would notice a falter was when you were about to run out of gas on motorway when putting your foot down - lack of gas / pressure. Power loss would be more noticeable I think on a smaller engine conversion.
After about 155000 miles on LPG (mileage actually @ 193000 - rest on petrol) - both head gaskets were obviously blowing /leaking and on startup would stutter a bit and would blow out some coolant as steam out of the exhausts - then fire up on all 8 ok as this cleared. Coolant loss was quite small - so leak not too great. Had both heads taken off and some valve seat / stem pitting noticed when gaskets renewed. Heads were reconditioned at this point.
LPG system was Tartarini done by Dave Stanley at NW Autogas - really knowledgeable guy - into v8s / yank tanks. has a Bimoto too.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

It may have been worth while to swap over the system.

Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Maybe not - current LPG systems are much more advanced than mine fitted in 2002 - and I have spoken to NW Autogas re Cayenne on LPG - not always advisable re valves prone to burn out - especially on motorway driving revs. There are Cayennes out there converted to LPG. May explore this later
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

The forklift engines had been converted and had valves and seats made for lpg. There were some Fiat trucks with their car engines fitted, they went through head gaskets and valves in no time.

UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Post by UGLYMICK »

had a mitz 3lts L200 that run on fart gas never run right from new when on lpg it had no balls on petrol WOW
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

My trike ran on lpg, and I could never get it to run right.
I still have the tank (half full), vaporiser, and the diffuser collars at the back of the garage if anyone wants to make me an offer.

A mate of mine worked in a garage where they regularly got lpg converted vehicles coming in with damaged/cooked valve seats.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.