Trike towing dolly

Just upgraded and want to sell your old stuff, then this is the place to post.
knockdolian
Part of the Furniture

Re: Trike towing dolly

Post by knockdolian »

miniondave wrote:From the Department of Transport.

The use of “dollies” is intended for the recovery of broken down vehicles, not for the transportation
of a vehicle from “A” to “B”. Under Regulation 83 of C&U a motor car is permitted to tow two trailers
when one of them is a towing implement and the other is secured to and either rests on or is
suspended from the implement.When used for recovering broken down vehicles “dollies” are
exempt from having an operational braking system fitted, provided that the towing vehicle is
capable of meeting the minimum prescribed braking requirements for the combination. However, if
“dollies” are used for the transportation of perfectly functioning vehicles they will need to be fitted
with an operational braking system. dditionally the brakes on the wheels of the towed carwhich
are in contact with the road must work and meet the specified 50% braking efficiency required for a
trailer. The dolly would also be required by Regulation 22 of C&U to be fitted with suspension.
Regulations 19 and 22 in C&U permit a broken down vehicle to be recovered without complying
with these requirements. However, there is further legislation under the Road TrafficRegulation Act
1984that introduces a limitation on the maximum speed that the combination can be driven; this is
40mph on motorways and 20mph on other roads.
Couldn’t have put it better myself. I tried !!!
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

Just to put a fly in the ointment, an UNbraked trailer can carry up to 750kg with the towing car doing all the braking, when you use a dolly or A frame this becomes an UNbraked trailer, that is how I've read it.
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Travel Abroad
The Club's own Travel Service is here to assist you with all your international camping and caravanning needs.

Membership Insurance Help & Advice News & Events Magazine

Data Sheet #19 Unbraked Trailer - Safe for the road
Go to

Download
Home > Help and Advice > Technical Help > Data Sheets Search > #19 Unbraked Trailer - Safe for the road

Small unbraked trailer such as this camping pod are available to tow

Some trailers and trailer tents don’t have brakes as they are relatively lightweight. Being able to tow a small unbraked trailer can be useful for camping, allowing extra kit and a large tent to be transported without eating up the passenger space in the tow car. This Data Sheet will cover the items you need to consider before taking an unbraked trailer on the road and other considerations while towing.
For larger braked trailers see the Safe for the road – safe on the road Data Sheet # 21.
Considerations around the tow vehicle and the driver

Checking trailer lights should form part of your pre-journey checks
A vehicle suitable for towing will be approved by the manufacturer for this purpose and the handbook will provide limits for the gross weight of the unbraked trailer it is capable of pulling. A typical small car like the Nissan Micra can tow an unbraked trailer weighing no more than 350kg. It will also have a limit for a braked trailer, which will be higher. Further information is available in the Matching car and caravan Data Sheet #20.
Towbar and trailer lights

A well fitted and maintained towbar is vital for safety. It must comply with EC Directive 94/20EC for vehicles first registered on or after 1 August 1998. It is the main connection between car and trailer. Although the towbar now falls within the remit of the MOT you should inspect the tow bracket regularly, checking for cracking or serious rusting and that the bolts are correctly tightened or get it checked out when the car is serviced. The trailer lights must work and the vehicle must have an indicator tell-tail system, which can be in a multitude of forms. The idea of a detachable towbar is that it should only be fitted when needed, and kept in the boot when not in use. Further information on Towbars and towing electrics are available in Data Sheet #29.

A photocard driving licence for a post 1996 holder
Advice your car insurer
Adding a towbar to a car is classed as a modification that must be declared to the car’s insurance provider. If you use The Camping and Caravanning Club’s Club Care insurance provider you will automatically be covered, but other companies may make an additional charge. Your car’s insurance will then cover any third party damage while you are towing, but you will probably want separate trailer insurance to cover it and its contents against damage, fire and theft.
From a Driving licence prospective any B category driver can tow a trailer assuming the tow vehicle is capable. Further details are in the next section.

What the law states
Trailers and their towing vehicles should be in such a condition that they cause no danger to other road users.
You may drive up to 60mph on motorways and dual carriageways. On all other roads the speed limit is 50mph unless lower limits are in force.
Normal cars (Gross Vehicle Weight not exceeding 3,500kg) may tow a trailer up to a maximum body length of seven metres (not including draw bar) and width not exceeding 2.55 metres. It is highly unlikely that any unbraked trailers would fall foul of this.
Assuming you can drive a car legally, no special categories are required on your driving licence to tow an unbraked trailer. The trailer has to have a gross weight of no more than 750kg. Further detailed information regarding driving licence and the limitations can be found in Data Sheet #40 (Driving Licences).
Your trailer must carry a number plate with the registration number of the tow vehicle on it as well as red reflecting trailer triangles.
Your unbraked trailer must have a secondary coupling that will keep the trailer connected to the tow vehicle in the event of it becoming detached.
Passengers are not allowed to travel in a trailer while it is being towed.
You must have a full driving licence to be able to tow, unless you have your B+E provisional licence and a qualified driver is in the vehicle.
Towing vehicles must not use the outside lane of a three (or more) lane motorway even when overtaking, unless signs indicate otherwise or the nearside lanes are blocked by roadworks.
Tyres must be capable of carrying the maximum permitted weight of the trailer and have a tread depth of no less than 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire circumference. See the Tyres and tyre care Data Sheet #15 for more information.
Stopping overnight in a lay-by may be considered an obstruction. You could be asked to move on.
If you park your trailer in the street overnight you must not park at parking meters and you must display lights all round.
A trailer must not be left on the road uncoupled from its towing vehicle unless at least one wheel is effectively prevented from moving.
If you carry anything on your trailer, like a bicycle, the load must be secured and not stick out dangerously. taken from the camping and caravanning club 2017, there is more on their website
knockdolian
Part of the Furniture

Post by knockdolian »

ANGELOFTHEABYSS, your last post is all correct. However the “grey” bit is , if you use a dolly your bike or trikes rear wheels are on the ground so become part of the trailer. Those wheels have brakes so must work. I know that sounds bollocks and probably is. That’s VOSA for ya.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong that’s how in interperated it. Unfortunately VOSA people don’t know half their rules. The trouble I had trying to find out what I could tow with a trike !!!
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

knockdolian wrote:ANGELOFTHEABYSS, your last post is all correct. However the “grey” bit is , if you use a dolly your bike or trikes rear wheels are on the ground so become part of the trailer. Those wheels have brakes so must work. I know that sounds bollocks and probably is. That’s VOSA for ya.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong that’s how in interperated it. Unfortunately VOSA people don’t know half their rules. The trouble I had trying to find out what I could tow with a trike !!!
As I read it, when you use a dolly, wheeled or not it then becomes a trailer, the grey area is whether it's a braked trailer or unbraked :bang: . You would think these pinheads could clear it up :hissyfit: :hammer:
miniondave
Part of the Furniture

Post by miniondave »

The last two posts show where the trouble is, it's all a case of interpretation.
While one person interprets the law one way, another see's a different interpretation.

Law is made of many such problems.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

miniondave wrote:The last two posts show where the trouble is, it's all a case of interpretation.
While one person interprets the law one way, another see's a different interpretation.

Law is made of many such problems.
Tell that to the cop who has just pulled you over and you know its going to be his way which counts.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke: