Engine identification/type technical info

Help needed & advice given..try here
feathersmcgraw

Engine identification/type technical info

Post by feathersmcgraw »

Hi all,
I have a 2008 Boom Family fitted with a 1600 injection air cooled engine. As I understand it, it is a Mexican built (prefix ACD) unit so pretty straight forward so far.
I will need to buy spares for this engine but I am a little confused as to what other information i would need to enable me to buy the 'correct' items required.

My questions are:
What 'type' of engine is it? as I have seen reference to T1, T4 etc. (does this refer to the 'generation' of this type of engine?)
Is there an engine rebuild manual specific for this engine? as technical info on clearances etc would be handy/necessary. If not, what would be a good reference manual to enable me to carry out a rebuild?
Is there a spare parts list catalog available?

I have been to see our local VW main dealer and they were as helpful as a chocolate teapot!
Also spoken to Boom, but information was not really forthcoming and prices seem unrealistic.
Our local car spares guys are really helpful but can only do so much with the limited info that I have.

The only other thing I need to do is to replace the worn gear shift bushing/linkage so any info on what type, part number etc would be very useful.

Sorry it's a long one for a Sunday morning, but hoping to get moving on this asap as I don't want to miss our 2 week long summer this year!

Thanking everyone in advance.
The BFG

Re: Engine identification/type technical info

Post by The BFG »

Hi, I'm certain someone with more knowledge will come along but here's my bit. T1 = Beetle (type 1) which I believe is your engine but I'm not familiar with the injection engine so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I run a T1 with carb.
For parts I use German & Swedish, VW heritage or Machine 7, all online. You'll get the bushing from them, google beetle gear lever bushing for a how to do it video.
Manual I use is " how to keep your Volkswagen alive "

Hope that helps if not like I said someone else with more knowledge will be along soon
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Just as bfg said, German and Swedish is who I use. You will find boom just want all your dosh. I picked up a book off ebay called How to rebuild your Volkswagen air cooled engine. It shows how to tell the engine type and rebuild it.
Last edited by Deep Diver on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Same as the guys above, I use GSF and also Machine 7 as they are just up the road also their online stuff is good.

Mine is a 2005 Boom classic family with the ACD injected engine and the large diameter comfort forks, the front disc pads are BMW K75/K100 and the rear pads are Ford Scorpio, cheap as chips if not bought from Boom, I installed a quick shift kit from GSF for about £6 to sort out the normal beetle gearstick slop, I think the expression people use is "it's like stirring a bowl of porridge".
feathersmcgraw

Post by feathersmcgraw »

Many thanks peeps, all good info for my records.

Just a quickie, I have noticed a bit of a top end knock on one of the cylinders......are there any historical issues with small end bearings on these engines?...just a thought.

Thanks again everyone.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

feathersmcgraw wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:40 pm Many thanks peeps, all good info for my records.

Just a quickie, I have noticed a bit of a top end knock on one of the cylinders......are there any historical issues with small end bearings on these engines?...just a thought.

Thanks again everyone.
Does it quieten down after about 10 miles if so it's one of the hydraulic lifters drained down, it sounds like a toffee hammer hitting a bit of metal, mine does that and it's quite a common thing on the ACD engine, I usually take it for a 10 mile blast or change the engine oil, also don't adjust the tappets as if its a normal beetle engine as its a different procedure for the hydraulic tappets.
Mal
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mal »

Another really good site to look at is Rob and Daves VW pages. Probably some of the best info on VW aircooled lumps.
feathersmcgraw

Post by feathersmcgraw »

Thanks Aztec & Mal, will be doing a full engine service including oil change in the next week or two so will have another listen and report back.

Great stuff, thank you.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Here's a handy website to check out.

http://1600i.de/