Rewaco alignment help please.

Chat about Trikes
Alfonso56

Rewaco alignment help please.

Post by Alfonso56 »

Hi all, I recently purchased a Rewaco HS4 trike, a bit old but like it. It has a tendency to gear right immediately if your loose with the bars and is harder to steer left on sweepers. I feel the front wheel is not perpendicular which is a worry (frame bent?). It has the sort line forks. I tried the string line on the back wheels, they seem ok. Any help appreciated.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Rewaco alignment help please.

Post by jinjachin »

Check if you have a brake binding
Alfonso56

Post by Alfonso56 »

Will do but I think it’s okay. I jacked the front up and the wheel spins ok.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

A binding rear can cause what you are describing Jack the rear up and give the the wheels a spin if it ain't that try your steering head bearings but I'm not sure that would cause the problems your haveing .if they are ok you will have to start measuring the chassis by the way test the wheels after a run around so they have some heat in the brakes because it you have a seized piston that's just catching that will bind more as it gets hot. Also can you pop along to the new member section just to introduce yourself it's something we've all done thanks
Mal

Post by Mal »

There is a thread on the Waco forum about the front caliper seizing.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Hi young man now't wrong with older trikes. Now to check the brakes , Jack up both rear wheels at the same time.
Turn the offside wheel and watch the nearside one to see if it snags up, now turn the nearside wheel and watch the off side wheel to see if that snags. If any of the wheels snag then the one which snags is binding a wee bit. Try this cold and with the brakes hot after a run. One way to check the wheel alignment is with a spirit level. You need a flat level bit of concrete, check it is flat and use the spirit level to check it. Place your trike on it with the front wheel straight ahead. Check with the spirit level both back wheels vertically. Then check both sides of the front wheel as close to the centre of the wheel as possible. If the front wheel is not vertical it should show on the spirit level bubble. If correct the bubble should be the same each side of the wheel.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Alfonso56

Post by Alfonso56 »

Thanks Guys, you fellas are great. It’s nice to have someone to to talk to about these issues. I will do the rear brake jack up first..... here’s hoping!
As for the front I know when I put a spirit level vertically on the front wheel at where I think it’s centered, the bubble is not level, quite a bit off actually. The tyre does not appear to be worn on one side either. On the ground at standstill when I turn the bars left the front raises up significantly more than when I turn it right. However, when jacked up the bars flop without resistance left and right which I assume means the steering bearing is okay, although it does flop more easily toward the left.I know enough to basically get more confused it seems. I will intro myself on the newbie section shortly.
Cheers
Alfonso56

Post by Alfonso56 »

Jacked up the back before and after ride, no brake binding. Tried to string line out the tyres for straightness but can’t see a lot wrong there. Must be the front end somewhere, disappointing and probably expensive, forks or the steering neck?
Cheers
Alfonso56

Post by Alfonso56 »

Hi all, just an update. Turns out the fork tubes are bent $$$$$, as well as the top cross section on the steering head that goes between cnc billet thingo. A very costly excersize. It also has hairline cracked at the top bolt area. Getting quotes for replacements, would I have bought had I been aware, yes less the cost of replacement parts!
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Bad news put a pic up of the set up just in case I see something similar for sale second hand . I would also have a look at getting a set made you never know it might work out cheeaper