reliant trike running hot

Help needed & advice given..try here
snakepete

reliant trike running hot

Post by snakepete »

Hi folks
I have just sorted out how to fix a robin with a hot flush in this hot weather.I have fitted a car heater matrix to the bottom rear seat panel and it works a treat.
I have run it the same as the robin car heater.
I hope this helps some one out there with the same problem.All in it cost £20 from good old e bay .
Email if you want pics.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: reliant trike running hot

Post by Kawazuki »

I'd be surprised if most Reliant engined trikes don't run excessively warm. When in the original body, the rad had a degree of funnelled air + heater matrix + water capacity, are lost on most trikes. You have to look at the whole capacity and build it into a single rad.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

Kawazuki wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:57 am I'd be surprised if most Reliant engined trikes don't run excessively warm. When in the original body, the rad had a degree of funnelled air + heater matrix + water capacity, are lost on most trikes. You have to look at the whole capacity and build it into a single rad.
He is right air is forced through a tunnel in to the rad . The fan on the engine on mine was a complete waste of time it just forced air out the side so I fitted a 12" fan on the front of the rad blowing air through the rad never had any problems after that
prawny12009

Post by prawny12009 »

Failing thermostat is the most common cause of overheating especially if you have the heater and head bypass hoses running straight back to the water pump, once the thermostat fails you have only the surface area of the engine itself to dissipate heat.

My thermostat failed on the motorway during the heat wave in my standard Robin, I had to run the heater on full to keep the temperature out of the red,

I'm considering running a bigger matrix and feeding it from both the heater and the head bypass pipes using t pieces on the matrix inlet and on the water pump, mostly for more flow through the heaters in winter but also as an insurance policy should the new thermostat fail.