Engine NOT shutting off...?!

Help needed & advice given..try here
spb2002

Engine NOT shutting off...?!

Post by spb2002 »

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help. I have my Metro Auto trike which is 95% wired up (just front indicators to do). I started her up at the weekend, and after a couple of tries she fired up a treat! Went to turn her off at the key – wouldn’t stop. Pulled wires from battery – still wouldn’t stop, was ticking over just fine still. Pulled the relay and she cut out. Also, after a little trial and error I can start her up, then turn the key to the off position and put the main beam on – and then it will cut the engine, almost like a cutoff switch. Any ideas what’s happening?? And even better, how to cure it?!
All help welcome!!

Cheers 😊
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Engine NOT shutting off...?!

Post by Kawazuki »

With the first description I was thinking pre-ignition run-on but the key and headlight thing says WIRING! Rule of thumb - keep any thing to do with ignition separate from anything else - turning the key or pulling the ign. fuse should kill it dead!
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

Kawazuki wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:53 pm With the first description I was thinking pre-ignition run-on but the key and headlight thing says WIRING! Rule of thumb - keep any thing to do with ignition separate from anything else - turning the key or pulling the ign. fuse should kill it dead!
Like he said you need to have the ign separate you are gaining a live feed from some where
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Chances are it is live coming from the charging circuit. So when you think you are switching the ignition off, it is being fed from the alternator.

You will only ever find it if the engine is actually running.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
spb2002

Post by spb2002 »

Thanks guys, i'll see if i can identify where it is coming from.