V dub distributor expert

Help needed & advice given..try here
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

V dub distributor expert

Post by minimutly »

I've been asked to help sort an absolutely beautiful vw transporter camper. The engine is a new, or newly built 1300 with a new solex copy carb. It runs dreadfully, takes loads of throttle to rev up. A simple timing check revealed the timing wasn't moving, except with the vacuum advance, but given how much the throttle is open it doesn't have much vacuum...
Anyway, prised the dizzy off, it has no guts, just the pickup for the electronic ignition. So I guess I need a clockwork dizzy - anyone know where to get one, and would it have a part number?
kajay

Re: V dub distributor expert

Post by kajay »

Any of the beetle spares places should be able to help you
Have a look at JustKampers or machine7
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Thanks kajay
Mal
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mal »

Sounds like you have an 009 dizzy there, its meant for flat out racing not acceleration. You need an 034 SVDA which has both bob weight and vacuum adv and ret. The 009 needs to be set at something like 30 deg adv with the engine revved up. Take a look at WWW.vw-resource.com. Skidmark will probably know more about it.
Herbie

Post by Herbie »

These people are worth a look for an electronic replacement distributor Fitted one to Damo's 1600. you do have to set the timing at high rpm not tickover.
Powerspark Ignition Ltd
16 Sanders Road 
B61 7DG Bromsgrove 
Worcestershire England
01527 889453
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

Hi I have fitted loads of vacuum advance dizzys, (SVDA) after having poor results with a 009 read this article and it will help to explain, in fact the whole site will explain a lot about the VW aircooled engine should you have any more problems.
http://www.vw-resource.com/vacuum_qa.html
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

Post by ravnali »

As previously mentioned the 009 was designed for flat out racing or static constant RPM engines, not really for road use! The SVDA (single vacuum dual advance(bob weights)) is much better, I use it on my 1300 with no real problems. As an aside, bin the contact breaker points setup and replace with an electronic trigger ignition, as I said my SVDA runs fine like this.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Thanks all again. The dizzy will be changed, and the electronic module in the present one swapped over.
I've asked the owner to look for one, but will check on what he finds.
I expect to be looking at 30 deg max advance, 15 odd on tickover with vac disconnected?
Huw
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

Post by ravnali »

Don't worry about tick over too much as it "wanders" as long as it advances when revved to the correct max advance for your motor you should be OK.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

The correct advance for the motor - yes, and given it's not original - 1300 with 1600 heads apparently, what would that be? My guess is 30 degrees?