New guys first build - gotta start somewhere

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
nicko868

Re: New guys first build - gotta start somewhere

Post by nicko868 »

Deep Diver wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm It may have been welded with a gas-less mig. And VW beetle based trikes and most car based ones still have a gear lever.
quite possible, a lot of they just look a lot like honey comb the only other time I have seen that is when I have run out of gas mid way through a weld. and yeah that was my thinking plus I have seen quite a few bike based with tank shift/ jokey shift so I figured it must be okay. Im just trying to make the handle bars as minimalist as possible and make it a slightly easier build for me.
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

not much of an update really, re done 90% of the welds on the trike, let in a new lower center piece and two new lower rails just the back bone to re build now after I removed the tank and found a 38mm to 34mm join that didn't look the best. next step is to linish the welds back and a skim of filler and weld the mounts up on the big welder.

not the prettiest of welds but i have done them to the best of my skill set and made the best use of my lil hobby welder. they are strong though!
22.jpg
23.jpg
25.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

couple more pics -
26.jpg
27.jpg
and the back bone to be replaced -
24.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

That back bone I would go for a bigger tube something like 50 mm to give strength.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

Yeah the top half is 38mm which fits fairly snug in the sportster tank the lower half is 34 so I was going to cut that out and go the 38 all the way down
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

If using 38 go for thick wall of around 5 mm
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Deep Diver wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 am If using 38 go for thick wall of around 5 mm
Bloody hell - he ain't building a bridge! Stock is probably only 2mm! The top tube is virtually always in compression so doesn't need to be a scaffold pole!
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

Lol the one I have ordered is 2 mm walled 38mm OD I will probably just sleeve the inner joint to give it a bit extra but with the engine bolted in and all the gussets in the frame im sure it will be more than sound
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

Bit of a busy week this week! got my back bone in and capped at the end, it was sleeved on the inside too so plenty of strength there!.

got my hubs and discs back from being machined, I then drilled the stud holes up to be able to take M12 and pressed those in too.

mocked my axle in place welded some 25mm round bar into the frame ends so when I get my frame on the big welder there is plenty of metal to get some heat into for the axle mount welds. I have also tacked these in place ready for the weld.

I have also arranged having my adapters made for the wide wheels! this week will consist of shortening the axle all is a go!!
33.jpg
32.jpg
30.jpg
nicko868

Post by nicko868 »

35.jpg
34.jpg
36.jpg