Help please! Brake problem.

Help needed & advice given..try here
Jackson

Help please! Brake problem.

Post by Jackson »

Real problem with the rear brakes. New master cylinder and all new brake lines two weeks ago and all was good for a week - but the garage said it was a monumental pig because the bleed nipples were half way up the callipers. I can see what they mean, they’ve been fitted too far back so the nipple isn’t at the top. Anyway, back brakes now completely flat, nothing at all. How do I bleed when the nipple isn’t at the top?

Thank you!
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: Help please! Brake problem.

Post by 1130cc »

Whilst it is more helpful having the nipple at the top, it is not a must :)

Some ideas:
  • Air does not sink, so having the nipple on the bottom means you are gonna have to squeeze the piston(s) right back in, chock them, and then try and bleed it.
  • Use a length of pipe attached to the nipple, so that it is full of fluid. Any air that comes out, should rise up through the fluid in the hose.
  • If you can, take the calipers off, chock the pads apart, and the orientate the calipers so the bleed nipple is upwards. Now bleed them.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

If you require another pair of eyes to have s look, I'm in Felixstowe and can pop over to see you Thursday pm
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Have you tried reverse bleeding?
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

I'd plump for pushing the pistons back, block them with some wood, take calipers off and orientate so nipple are up and try bleeding again - may be easier?
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Deep Diver wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 pm If you require another pair of eyes to have s look, I'm in Felixstowe and can pop over to see you Thursday pm
Damn away for a wedding. Saturday late afternoon or Sunday afternoon? It would be helpful to have an eye on one or two other things!
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

gorbee01279 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:20 pm Have you tried reverse bleeding?
Sorry what’s reverse bleeding?
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

It's when you bleed the brakes from the caliper back to the master cylinder with a syringe & rubber tube if you tap in reverse bleeding on youtube it will show you how to do it,you can buy the syringe kit of eBay for £4.00 just tap in reverse bleeding kit.I always do my trike front brakes like this it's a lot easier & should cure your problem.It does work on rear brakes as well as iv'e done it on my other trikes & cars before..
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Jackson wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 pm
Deep Diver wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 pm If you require another pair of eyes to have s look, I'm in Felixstowe and can pop over to see you Thursday pm
Damn away for a wedding. Saturday late afternoon or Sunday afternoon? It would be helpful to have an eye on one or two other things!
What time Saturday? Plus where in Suffolk
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Deep Diver wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 am
Jackson wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 pm
What time Saturday? Plus where in Suffolk
Anytime after 4.30pm and I’m just outside Hadleigh. I need to work out how to send a pm!