help with brakes needed

Help needed & advice given..try here
old git
Part of the Furniture

Re: help with brakes needed

Post by old git »

hi burkie did not realise you had a thread,so answered in the chat box,So if your master cylinder is mounted lower than your brakes you can fit a residual pressure valve which keeps 2psi in the line on the brake side for disk brakes and 10psi for drum brakes, if you want i can post a picture of one fitted to mine this may not be a full answer to your problem but will definitely help.The valves are made by willwood and you should contact THINK AUTOMOTIVE really helpful people.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

I've heard of those valves being used with discs but never drums? The disc pistons often retract a bit leading to a 'long' pedal but with drums the slack can be adjusted out so shouldn't need a valve and surely 10psi would result in shoes dragging?
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

just looked at paperwork and reads 2lb valve for disks and 10lb valve for drums and not psi ooops
adrianbt

Post by adrianbt »

Wonder if anyone could offer some help in my direction about brakes.

I've got a VW rear end and the brakes are rock hard. It did have a servo fitted by the previous owner and they sort of worked.

So I've fitted:
New Master Cylinder (land rover single system)
New 2.3:1 servo
New brake cylinders
Added a new vacuum pump

And they are still b....y rock hard.

I'm losing the will to live trying to figure out what is causing it.

any ideas would be really a great help
Cheers
adrian
"there is no beauty that hath not some strangeness to its proportion", Francis Bacon
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by gorbee01279 »

Check your master cylinder bore,if it's 3/4" it's to big go down to 5/8"bore if your using original 19mm bore slave cylinders.Had same problem with mine better now with the smaller bore master.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Also check out the ratio of brake lever
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
adrianbt

Post by adrianbt »

Well............. it appears to be the angle of the dangle on the pedal. Never thought of looking at that and actually didn't think that it could make that much of a difference...... but wow.....

The original ratio was 2.8:1, so out came the drill and now have a 7:1 ratio which really does make a massive improvement.

Now there is just a pull to the left so there is definitely an imbalance and will need to adjust the right side drum. I guess that it is just adjust a bit and test as don't have the luxury of a friendly garage with a brake testing setup. I think I'll re-bleed the system and then have a look.

Thanks for your help.
mongrel-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"there is no beauty that hath not some strangeness to its proportion", Francis Bacon
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

You'll find that you don't need the servo now
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

well done brakes on trikes are a pain it took me an age to get mine right . nice trike by the way
adrianbt

Post by adrianbt »

Just got one of the TorqueMeister torque multiplier kits for VW's so if anyone in the Maidstone'ish area needs a loan give us a call. Soooooo usefull.

A second bleed of the system got a little bit more air out of the offside which may have accounted for it seeming to grab on the nearside. However, I thought I would attempt another adjustment of the shoes. Don't know if I'm stating the obvious but the VW instruction of "tighten them up and then back them off 3-4 " - seems really vague. Does anyone a have a better setting? I've tried 30 thou between the shoe and the drum. anyone got any other views?