Back rest for Harley Tri Glide Ultra

The place to chill and chat about anything
livingthedream

Back rest for Harley Tri Glide Ultra

Post by livingthedream »

Hi all,
Its the newbie with another post!
I assume a riders back rest would be the same for a tri glide as it would the tri glide ultra trike.
Comfort has to be key for me with my rickety bones.
And a back rest has to be a must have first accessory for the trike I am targetting.
Big question is... which back rest ?
Seems to be a few advertised on flea bay and of course there are the Harley branded ones too. Certainly a variation in price gulp.
So guys and gals with lower back/lumbar region issues.. which back rests do you favour. Whether you are on a custom built or factory.
Is there a particular one that is favoured?
That said most of my trips will be shortish ones probably... until I get my European road map out aaah!
Would welcome your opinions.
Thanks all!
p.s. Apologise if this topic covered elsewhere
John in Gloucester
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Back rest for Harley Tri Glide Ultra

Post by Kawazuki »

It doesn't have a 'rider's' backrest! The backrest is only ever a benefit to passengers or stop them going A over T backwards!
Mal
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mal »

Try NABD a good friend of this forum who has limited movement below the waist rides a VMAX by strapping himself to a very good rider backrest.
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

livingthedream wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 pm I assume a riders back rest would be the same for a tri glide as it would the tri glide ultra trike.
Comfort has to be key for me with my rickety bones.
And a back rest has to be a must have first accessory for the trike I am targetting.
Big question is... which back rest ?
Seems to be a few advertised on flea bay and of course there are the Harley branded ones too. Certainly a variation in price gulp.
So guys and gals with lower back/lumbar region issues.. which back rests do you favour. Whether you are on a custom built or factory.
Is there a particular one that is favoured?
That said most of my trips will be shortish ones probably... until I get my European road map out aaah!
Would welcome your opinions.
Thanks all!
p.s. Apologise if this topic covered elsewhere
The backrest on my own slots into the seat,specifically made for the Goldwing,i would assume if they are for a Harley then it would fit,personally i wouldn't be without one,the one fitted to my previous VTX1800 was well over £200 +postage from the States (fitted by previous owner),unfortunately motorcycling is an expensive hobby
backrest.jpg

Kawazuki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:53 am It doesn't have a 'rider's' backrest! The backrest is only ever a benefit to passengers or stop them going A over T backwards!
Have to dis-agree with you there (my own opinion of course) ..my last four bike's have all had a drivers backrest,my present trike also has one,a sports type bike/trike may not benefit as the rider is sat forwards leant over the tank..cruiser style aren't,they are sat upright,i gather by your name..Kawazuki..you are./were a sports bike/trike enthusiast??? :hmm: I am an old fart so i DO need one.. :snigger: :snigger:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

paul.r wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 am Have to dis-agree with you there (my own opinion of course) ..my last four bike's have all had a drivers backrest,my present trike also has one,a sports type bike/trike may not benefit as the rider is sat forwards leant over the tank..cruiser style aren't,they are sat upright,i gather by your name..Kawazuki..you are./were a sports bike/trike enthusiast??? :hmm: I am an old fart so i DO need one.. :snigger: :snigger:
Well I stand corrected! - never seen a rider back rest till your posted pic's. Seems a big obstacle to getting on and off for you and the passenger! Yes i'm a sportbike / dragbike rider through & through but only with straight bars - clip-ons are for the yoof! I certainly can't imagine riding a bike with a back rest - need to have that front / back movement but horses for courses I guess!
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

Kawazuki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm
Seems a big obstacle to getting on and off for you and the passenger! Yes i'm a sportbike / dragbike rider through & through but only with straight bars - clip-ons are for the yoof!
The b/rest is adjustable for angle and it fold's down for access,also removeable..When i was a "YOOF" i had "clip ons" :snigger: :snigger:
Triton late 60's with the girlfriend later wife
triton2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Kawazuki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm
paul.r wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 am Have to dis-agree with you there (my own opinion of course) ..my last four bike's have all had a drivers backrest,my present trike also has one,a sports type bike/trike may not benefit as the rider is sat forwards leant over the tank..cruiser style aren't,they are sat upright,i gather by your name..Kawazuki..you are./were a sports bike/trike enthusiast??? :hmm: I am an old fart so i DO need one.. :snigger: :snigger:
Well I stand corrected! - never seen a rider back rest till your posted pic's. Seems a big obstacle to getting on and off for you and the passenger! Yes i'm a sportbike / dragbike rider through & through but only with straight bars - clip-ons are for the yoof! I certainly can't imagine riding a bike with a back rest - need to have that front / back movement but horses for courses I guess!
ive got a back rests on my valkyrie they are great
livingthedream

Post by livingthedream »

Thanks Mal and paul.r.
I was in dealership today and on the 2 wheel tri glide 114 (same seat as the trike Ultra) there is a slot in the seat, between rider and pillion, that allows a riders back rest to be fitted. Seat has a bolt at rear that requires removal and then seat slides out backwards to gain acces to where the back rest bracket is fitted underneath. I have a few back rests to test out first! Will let you know later which is more beneficial for my lumbar. Thanks again
John in Gloucester
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

i find they support me well its more of a relaxed ride
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

The easiest answer to your problem is to make your own back rest. That way, you get exactly what you want. Have you tried doing that? Probably be a lot cheaper as well.

Chopper