Identifying parts

Help needed & advice given..try here
Flembo

Identifying parts

Post by Flembo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:17 am

Good day everyone,
I have stripped the engine down,and it now as naked as a Jaybird. I am now having problems identifying spare parts,as i do not have the vin number. All i have is the engine code. To rebuild the engine I am going to need a few new parts,two of which I am struggling to properly identify. A =camshaft, B= a piston(which i sneezed and dropped ending up taking a chunk out of the side). Is there any way that I can use the engine number to source parts,or is it a case of trawling through the items and being patient and doing some detective work. I have contacted a couple of suppliers and they have asked for the vin saying they cannot help with just the engine code. There are so many variants to the parts,I do not want to end up ordering the wrong item. The two parts I have mentioned do not have part numbers on them,otherwise i would be able to sort this issue out. As I am new to this, I need to ask the opinions of those who maybe have overcome such problems,and are wiser than me

Thank you in advance.

Flembo

Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Identifying parts

Post by Deep Diver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 am

Take the parts to a engine overhauls workshop. They should be able to help you from just the engine number.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:

1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 am

You already provided me with the engine number, and I gave you the description for the engine. This should be enough.
Range Rover Discovery efi auto 1988 onwards
Compression ration of 9.35:1

My local motor factors always manage to source me parts with the barest of information.
They have given up asking me for a reg, and we have slowly got to know what all the main parts were sourced from.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.

Flembo

Post by Flembo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am

Ok i will get back onto them and will be a little more forceful with them, see if that helps. Idid give them that info, i suppose it is easier for them to use the vin instead of doing a little work to work it out.

Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Flembo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:04 am
Ok i will get back onto them and will be a little more forceful with them, see if that helps. Idid give them that info, i suppose it is easier for them to use the vin instead of doing a little work to work it out.
But i'm guessing the VIN info would be applicable to the donor vehicle not the current trike chassis - car factors just don't know how to deal with 'specials' - if its not on the screen - it doesn't exist in their world!