Dragstar winter upgrades.

Help needed & advice given..try here
firebob22

Dragstar winter upgrades.

Post by firebob22 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am

Hi all, I've been busy these past few weeks upgrading the trike for this years season. So far I've fitted a heavy duty clutch from Barnett that does away with the diaphragm spring & replaces it with a new pressure plate & six springs, very nice kit & works great. Figured that the original bike clutch wasn't up to hauling an axle & two ferkin great wheels, but it did cope, just not sure for how long.
Fitted a Ram Air kit from the USA & have done some intake & airbox mods & fitted a Dynojet kit to counteract the high volume of air.
Taking off the AIS & all the plumbing that goes with it. This is a system that injects air into the exhaust headers to help burn any unburnt fuel. This is for Euro emissions but makes the bike backfire if any alterations to the exhaust or intake are made. Very simple to remove the vacuum,pump,filter & all the pipework & plug the holes with a small kit again from the US.
Next on the list is fitting the high performance Dynatek coils that arrived yesterday. I think that the originals are starting to break down, as sometimes when the trikes hot, it takes a bit more effort to start which it shoudn't. When i bought the trike & had it delivered from oop north, the driver had left the ignition on for something like nine hours, so it could have damaged the coils, it certainly screwed the battery.
Also fitting a Gipro digital gear indicator 'cos my memory's shot & i can never remember what gear i'm in!
Thankfully i insulated the garage last year so it's much warmer & drier than it used to be & helps ward off the frostbite.
That's it for now folks.
Bob. :beer:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:

Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Dragstar winter upgrades.

Post by Deep Diver » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:46 am

Looks like you're having fun Bob.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:

Mal
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mal » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm

That all sounds great Bob, how about some pics. :thumbsup:

firebob22

Post by firebob22 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Too late for the clutch, but i'll post some pics of all the AIS parts that are coming off & the coil change. The Ramair parts aren't really visible apart from the three huge intake holes & mesh cover in the original air cleaner housing. :beer:

firebob22

Post by firebob22 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:16 pm

Here's a couple of pics of all the AIS pipework, filter & its airbox & the vacuum pump. Christ, what a convoluted way of doing things! Just got the brass take off spigots to remove from the heads & then use the ally blanking plugs to finish it. No more backfiring Hurrah! The other pic is the new shiny coils, probably fit them over the weekend & then start to put the whole shooting match back together. :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.