New Member with an exhaust question

Just a few words to Introduce youself
Panda

New Member with an exhaust question

Post by Panda »

Hi all.

I am finishing off my 'from the ground up' trike build and have taken the beast for MSVA. It failed the first time on the exhaust being too noisy ( 2 x 2 into 1 bought from respected supplier) It registered at around 110db when the max is 101db. I installed decibel killers and wadding, effectively strangling the engine but it was quieter. On retest, it was still 1-2 db too loud.

My question is, can anybody recommend an exhaust for a 1969 AB 1300cc engine that will pass the MSVA noise test? At the moment I am considering installing 2 silencers from a Honda Blackbird, as the suppliers cannot seem to tell me in any of their off-the-shelf exhausts would pass MSVA.

If you have had similar problem and found a solution, please let me know.

Panda :respek:
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Re: New Member with an exhaust question

Post by Skidmark »

can you fit a standard Vw beetle system just for the test?
Panda

Post by Panda »

@skidmark
Thank for the suggestion. According to the suppliers (Just air cooled and Heritage) their exhaust systems are not noise tested because they are generally fitted to older vehicles that do not usually get subjected to a decibel check. I dont want to buy another system that is going to potentially fail (bought 2 different systems already)
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Just for info the actual sound level is 99db or lower - 101db is almost twice as loud in sound level terms. Cobbling something together may be required just to pass the test no matter how it appears, as long as it's secure. Daft thing it for an MOT there is no sound limit, just testers discretion.