Towing

Chat about Trikes
Mal
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Towing

Post by Mal »

Back to the original question, NO do not lock the trike steering. The whole thing articulates around the trike headstock, and dont forget neutral and handbrake OFF.
WP_20160515_15_30_28_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bert

Post by bert »

If it's automatic transmission you will need a trailer.
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Nice photo but the rules are this type of towing is for recovery only to the nearest garage The trike becomes a trailer regardless of weight if a trailer has brakes fitted they must operate I have on several times bent this rule myself depends if you get stopped by friendly plod.
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Now after my last post I am still using my dolley but what I am trying to do is make it legal Ie operate the trike brakes my first idea was a caravan sliding tow hitch connected by cable to the rear brake pedal my latest plan is to connect a large solenoid to the master cylinder powered from the brake light wiring anybody have thoughts how the wiring for this can be done I already have a very large 12v solenoid
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

southernscouse wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:08 pm Now after my last post I am still using my dolley but what I am trying to do is make it legal Ie operate the trike brakes my first idea was a caravan sliding tow hitch connected by cable to the rear brake pedal my latest plan is to connect a large solenoid to the master cylinder powered from the brake light wiring anybody have thoughts how the wiring for this can be done I already have a very large 12v solenoid
To power a solenoid you'll need a fused feed through a relay as it'll draw to much power for a brake switch. Use the brake switch to power the relay.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

How would you 'modulate' the brake force - it'll be all or nothing using a solenoid! Smokey locked up wheels can be a bit scary at 10 mph or 70 mph LOL!
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

Thanks for the replies I have thought about the relay idea but think the large relay I have would flatten a battery in short time so it was not full on instantly I was going to have the relay stroke adjustable but in reality I think I will use a cable from the sliding coupling to brake pedal fitting I already have the caravan slide coupling now fitted with a lighter spring just got to nail it all together. Thanks
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

https://i.postimg.cc/RFKpdP9z/40341915- ... B96301.jpg
This is my latest idea a small master cylinder operated by the sliding coupling with a flex hose with qd connectors to the back brakes
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

[image][/image]https://i.postimg.cc/Kj4b4Xft/27-A8-BA1 ... D195-D.jpg
After a few failed attempts this is now what I have done The sliding coupling has been fitted with a weaker spring when it moves forward under braking it operates the master cylinder I went for test drive although the braking seems slight it did produce enough pressure to operate the brake lights so if it produces pressure the brakes should be operational