Towing

Chat about Trikes
rockerbillycars

Towing

Post by rockerbillycars »

Hi,sorry but I think I posted the 1st post in the wrong area.(newbie)
Looking at buying our first trike,seen one,gonna look at it in the next few days,getting a towbar fitted to our car and got one of those trike carriers coming from http://www.motorcyclecarrier.webs.com.
Right now I don’t know anything about trikes or even how to tow 1,so the silly question I am asking is does the steering lock got to be on or off when being towed.
Look forward to your help.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: Towing

Post by Andy from Sandy »

I would expect the steering has to be unlocked but why not make contact with the company selling the device?

They show a picture with a trike hooked up.

Is the trike you are buying road going with all the wheels in place, with good wheel bearings on the back wheels and tyres?

Are you sure your vehicle can take the weight of the trike on the motorcycle carrier or would you be better off getting the trike dolly? My car has a maximum trailer nose weight of 75Kg.

https://motorcyclecarrier.webs.com/moto ... edolly.htm
rockerbillycars

Post by rockerbillycars »

Should be ok,got a 2.2td pt cruiser.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Legally, this is a grey area.
Some say if you are towing a vehicle with no mot/tax/insurance, none of the wheels should touch the road.

However, others say that if you use a dolly then the it becomes a trailer and should follow the rules relating to trailers, eg braked if over 750Kg, display a light board, etc.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

If you look at the stuff on the web page it does state " THIS DEVISE IS CLASSIFIED AS A RECOVERY DEVICE"
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

Should be ok,got a 2.2td pt cruiser.
According to Chrysler specs your car is good for pulling 454Kg or 1000lbs but there is no spec for the downward force on the towing hitch, nose weight. If you put for example a 900lbs Harley Davidson straight on the hitch your car will almost certainly not drive very well, hence get the dolly to take the weight of the trike off the hitch.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/147 ... eights.pdf

PT Cruiser nose weight 50Kg

Check with company selling device for what is best and see if they have the figure not specified by Chrysler.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

i caint remember what trike you have but if its auto box you wont be able to tow it as it will distroy the box
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

jinjachin wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 pm i caint remember what trike you have but if its auto box you wont be able to tow it as it will distroy the box
Or disconnect the propshaft - that's what the AA bods do!
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

if your just getting a tow bar fitted just to tow this once and buying a trike dolly I would get it transported depending where u are based and where its coming from I tow mine on my trailer also andy has said ur car can only tow 454kg that's less than half a ton what size trike is it
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

If you are towing a trike on one of these rigs they are for recovery only usually to the nearest garage
When towing a trike it becomes a trailer rules are if the trike wheels are on the road and they have brakes they must operate when the towing vehicle brakes