Brakes and ease of registration

Chat about Trikes
Raptormole

Brakes and ease of registration

Post by Raptormole »

Morning every.
I'm new to the world of trikes so prep you self for commonly asked questions, so sorry in advance.

I read some where that the brakes all have to work together and cant have independent front and rear like a bike is that true?

And how easy is it to get the bike reclassed as a tike, my bike is already road reg and legal with a number plate?
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Brakes and ease of registration

Post by Deep Diver »

You can have independent front and rear but you must have a park brake on at least one rear wheel which is cable, not hydraulic operated
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Raptormole

Post by Raptormole »

Excellent thanks. That would be the same as the quads then
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Raptormole wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 am Morning every.
I'm new to the world of trikes so prep you self for commonly asked questions, so sorry in advance.

I read some where that the brakes all have to work together and cant have independent front and rear like a bike is that true?

And how easy is it to get the bike reclassed as a tike, my bike is already road reg and legal with a number plate?
No probs with independent brakes. As to re-registering one, it depends on how its been converted! If the bike swingarm is retained / modified to take an axle or IRS, AND the frame has not been cut, rewelded or other that prevents it being returned to a two wheeler, then registration may be retained as its defined as a 3 wheel bicycle! If the above conditions cannot be met then you'll have to pass it through an MSVA test by the DVLA and if it passes the original registration mark will be withdrawn and you'll be issued with a 'Q' plate new one.
Raptormole

Post by Raptormole »

Great thanks for that really helpful. If all goes well i want to be about to put it back to a bike if I needed to, so the swing arm I will be having a new one made thus just replacing the old one, and the frame will stay as standard. The sub frame I am also having a new one fabed but like the original it will be bolted on, so can be removed if needed.
So if that ticks the boxes do I just write to the dvla to tell them then fill out the v70 form ?
Raptormole

Post by Raptormole »

I also presume it can still be riden on a car licence
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

car licence is good enough
as for registering there is a tread on here on how to register it just put registering a trike in the search box on the top right of this page
Raptormole

Post by Raptormole »

Great thanks and will do
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

I think you ought to check carefully about license to ride. I have a feeling it might depend on when you passed your test.

Ease of registration - Make sure you get receipts for everything you purchase. I have read about a few disgruntled people who couldn't explain where they had got parts from that made life difficult.

Other than that I will leave it to the other thread.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

you will have to of passed your car test before 2014 i could be wrong on the year though so check if you are around that date