Which one

Chat about Trikes
Richstorm

Which one

Post by Richstorm »

Hi all
I have 2 project bikes and am looking to build a trike but question whether the finances will stretch to 2.
!. A Kawasaki ZG1000
2. A Yamaha XS1100.
Ok folks I would be interested to hear your comments on which one and why.
Regards Rich.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Which one

Post by Kawazuki »

Lots of trikes have used the XS engine but it is a bit 'long in the tooth' these days so spares not so common and OEM stuff probably no longer available? The GTR being more recent would be my pick! Both likely to be strongly built engines - the Big K did start the whole superbike thing with the Zed range after all!
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

Kawazuki wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:59 am Lots of trikes have used the XS engine but it is a bit 'long in the tooth' these days so spares not so common and OEM stuff probably no longer available? The GTR being more recent would be my pick! Both likely to be strongly built engines - the Big K did start the whole superbike thing with the Zed range after all!
i agree
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

I have seen a few XS1100 trikes that were well put together, (Seen a few nightmares too)! Good strong engine and box, I personally think Jap bikes were built to a better standard when the XS1100 came out, better than today anyway. Based on what I have seen and worked on, I would go for the XS1100. You can still find engine parts, things like petrol tanks and side panels could be an issue. Anyway, they are your bikes and you will have to pay for the trike build, so while opinions might help you decide which way to go, it has to be your choice. Could be an interesting build either way.