Tube bending - Manchester area

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
Ghoulie
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Tube bending - Manchester area

Post by Ghoulie »

Well - wiring threaded through bars & done some initial polishing. Will complete the polishing insitu on trike.

Wonder how Marc held the grip in place on the left bar? Will try an email & see if he remembers.
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

H'bars on today & mirrors fitted, throttle cable length just about ok & looks like wiring will be ok too - was worried I might need to lengthen - but will just about do. Will finish off polishing s/s bars while on trike - easier to get at on trike than my cramped bench area in garage. Position feels a lot mote comfy ride-wise - bit of tweaking will give me the ideal position.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

When fitting heated grips, they supply a small tube of superglue, to glue them on with.

I usually use the smallest amount possible in a very localised area, so that if I ever want to change them in the future I don't have to have the mother of all fights and swearing to get it off again.
I think I used a small amount of impact adhesive last time.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Not heated grips. Stubs off the end of the bars were 1" I think. Will have to measure. Throttle side slides over this with grip fitted over whatever dims that throttle tube is. Left grip is same bore as throttle side - so is too loose over the 1" bar on that end. Maybe Marc put ano tube sleeve over this to enable fit. Emailed him but no response so far - no idea where he is at these days - not sure when he was last on this site either.

I can try and get the old grip off the old bars to see what he did - but seems well stuck to say the least. I suspect ano tube sleeve glued into place & this grip glued onto that
1130cc

Post by 1130cc »

Was only using heated grips as an example, as I have fitted loads of them :)

They also come with a plastic tube spacer, for exactly the issue you are having.
I thought I had a coule of them in the workshop, but I only have one.
Sorry, but I want to keep hold of it in case I need it when I change mine.
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

No probs m8y - I will be able to sort something to act as a suitable sleeve - just wondered what Marc had used - may destroy the old one fitted to the old bars to check it out.
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Sorted it - used the flat end of a King Dick adjustable and clamped old bars in a vice and knocked the old grip downwards. Came off after a few good belts with a lump hammer - inside sleeved - and still usable - so will use it on new s/s bars. (unless the grips came with 2 sizes?).
1130cc

Post by 1130cc »

Excellent.
Maybe Marc had the same mentality as me, and only used a small amount of glue :)
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

How have you got the wires coming out at the bottom of the bars I've got some bolts with holes through the middle not sure what they were Made for originally is hoping the holes bigger enough t get the wres through
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Bars are 38mm outer diam. Previous bars from Marc had a round 20mm hole cut into the rear of the area where the h'bar switch controls were - about 2" further down bars at the underside back. Outlet for wires was same 20mm hole cut on underside of bars just outside riser clamp position.

I thought 20mm was a bit big and since I hadn't got a 20mm metal drill bit, I cut 2x side by side 12.5mm holes and filed them to make more of a slot effect to feed wires through in same position as previous bars. wires were only 8mm across when bunched together.