Gonna Paint It

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
CaerphillyBoy

Gonna Paint It

Post by CaerphillyBoy »

Hi, just got the new mudguards today (all three) so now I'm looking to paint it all,, tank & mudguards in a nice orange base coat and a laquer finish, any ideas on how many cans (400Ml) I'm gonna need and also what pifalls do I need to look out for?????? Yamaha XJ 750 tank is the only metal apart from the frame.. TIA all replies appreciated,
Cheers :beer: :beer: :beer:
Only the good die young, (I'm still here).
Idheadings

Re: Gonna Paint It

Post by Idheadings »

Make sure you keep the dust down if doing the spraying in a garage. Plenty of water on the floor and make sure you degrease the paint surface.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

It don't matter how many cans you get it will not be enough, 400ml cans go quick.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by gorbee01279 »

I think you have a lot of flatting & polishing ahead of you, with no experience of spray painting with cans you're going to to get through a lot to get even near to a good finish. My advice would be to hire a small compressor & spray gun, better results and less paint used if done correctly,if cans are the only alternative make sure you at least use them at room temperature or failing that stick them in a bowl of warm water before use, light coats waiting 15 to 20 minutes between coats depending on the temperature your spraying in. Don't be tempted to spray heavy coats as most cans are cellulose based & will never fully dry if you do.Regardless of whatever you do you will end up flatting it, i would suggest you acrylic lacquer it also. Good luck let us know how you get on :thumbsup: unless you have a total disaster & don't want us to know :hide:
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Idheadings

Post by Idheadings »

Halfords can mix paint to go straight into a spray gun if you can get one.
CaerphillyBoy

Post by CaerphillyBoy »

Hello again, update on painting,,,, I am really pleased with the results I managed to get and will post some pics when it's all put together, maybe by the end of next week.... When I thought about it I didn't want a top job cause the trike is now 36 years old and parts are now showing their age, Much sanding, rubbing washing, sanding, priming, sanding rubbing, sanding, priming then we got to put some paint on and more and more then clearcoat and more and I got the result I want, thanks for the advice from all, I look forward to meeting some of you from time to time. Thanks Again now it's being rewired so we are getting near to MOT time, fingers crossed. Cheers All. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Only the good die young, (I'm still here).
Idheadings

Post by Idheadings »

Glad you got the results you are after on the paint job. I am just rewiring mine then it's the paint. Going to try some airbrushing. Looking forward to seeing the finished product when you get the pics up.