Alloy cleaning?

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
pauliexjr

Alloy cleaning?

Post by pauliexjr »

Not so much a customising as a 'how to?' question. The XV has been standing in the garage for about 18 months and the engine has developed a fair amount of white alloy corrosion on the fins.

Does anyone have any special tips for cleaning corrosion off fins, rocker covers etc? I know a toothbrush and Solvol or similar will do it (eventually!), but I wondered if there were any spray-on or brush-on products anyone has used and would recommend?
Dr Death

Post by Dr Death »

Have a similar problem.........so subscribed cos I would be interested
There are things out there that scare even me
hielanwolf

Post by hielanwolf »

try THIS

not used myself ....... dont do shiny :niceone:
pauliexjr

Post by pauliexjr »

Thanks for that, not looking for shiny, just not decrepit!:niceone:
Plug

Post by Plug »

Have you tried a brass wire brush.

John.
pauliexjr

Post by pauliexjr »

Plug wrote:Have you tried a brass wire brush.

John.
Yep, both hand-held and on the end of a dremmell. The problem is getting between the cylinders. I 'could' strip the engine and send the barrels and rockers off for vapour cleaning, but that's a bit drastic for a general clean up.

I've come across a product in Practical Classics called 'Ali-Brite' which is dilute hydrachloric acid and reckoned to get rid of the corrosion on cast alloy. M&P do it so I've sent off for some, I'll post back here with the results if anyone's interested.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Interested in this thread too. Not got a vdub but do have an awful lot of corroded alloy with hard to get at bits.

I was thinking of getting them grit blasted but open to all solutions.

Phil
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

corrosion

Post by ravnali »

I remember being told a long time ago when doing my aircraft eng' apprenticeship, that the white coating was just a coating that alluminium produces naturally to stop/slow corrosion and that the only way to totally stop it was paint/laquer etc.
Having said which I like the look of bright alloy and would also like to hear how these products mwasure up!
Al, aka Daft Vader
:crazy::swars::crazy:

And...if a first you don't suceed....hit it with a bigger hammer!
pauliexjr

Post by pauliexjr »

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this. Ali-Brite works ok, gets rid of the white oxidisation (aluminium's version of rust!) surface dirt and accumulated crud, but leave the surface matt and very dull. Oh well, Solvol and toothbrush here I come!
Dr Death

Post by Dr Death »

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... ostSubcat=

Found the above...... never used it but Frost stuff usually does what it says on the tin
There are things out there that scare even me