Alloy cleaning?

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
biker69
Part of the Furniture

Post by biker69 »

i could do with a miracle cleaner/polish as i am building a smartcar/kawasaki based trike and the merc ally engine is showing signs of the fluffy stuff:hellfire:
sheep

Post by sheep »

To polish alloy ive always done the same thing wet and dry then wire wool both from coarse right donw to fine and then repeat the fine paper and wool with autosol as your lubricant and finish with a rag and elbow grease of course with autosol and it will shine and also restore , i did 4 mini wolfrace slots like this thought it took me 2 weeks the end result was awesome , i then sprayed Auto Glym alloy wheel sealer and it lasted quite well , all i did was polish once per month with a rag and autosol no white ever appeared again.

Bit extreme for just a clean but its doable even in tight slots and spaces , hope this helps someone out regards
levvin

shiney!

Post by levvin »

I bought a polishing kit with grades of polish and wheels.

well awesome!

sell them on e-blag.

or you could buy silver engine enamel. spray it on, forget it.:niceone:
starman

cleaner

Post by starman »

pauliexjr wrote:Not so much a customising as a 'how to?' question. The XV has been standing in the garage for about 18 months and the engine has developed a fair amount of white alloy corrosion on the fins.

Does anyone have any special tips for cleaning corrosion off fins, rocker covers etc? I know a toothbrush and Solvol or similar will do it (eventually!), but I wondered if there were any spray-on or brush-on products anyone has used and would recommend?
hi,dont know about cleaning,but just a thought,is the bike on bare concrete?
have been told it gives off a reaction with aloy,just a thought for the future,as i had a 535xv and it happened to me,get an old carpet if you can,deff helps!
VmaxRik
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by VmaxRik »

Soz starman....posts over a year old now....dunno if you'll get a response or not ???

Easy mistake....sure we've all made it.
This nation wasn't given to our forefathers, it was wrought over a 1000 years of bloody war and the efforts of those who came before.
Let it not be us who bears the sin, of giving it away to the enemy within.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :biker:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Well I tried baking soda...bicarbonate of soda.

worked ok with dremmel and small wire bit.

then sprayed with alloy engine paint.

But in Oz everything looks brighter !!!

the supercharger

Australian Panther trike customised, Subaru ea81 SPFI, VW auto trans, Detour camper trailer.
skullmaster

alloy cleaning

Post by skullmaster »

had the same problem took the esy way out rub down with wire brush then with vht mat black paint spray looks bad assas the rest of engine is chrome.:thrash:
impudentone
Part of the Furniture

Well!!

Post by impudentone »

Well, I enjoyed that!! (I Love extreme cleaning and Shiny does it for me, sad but true!!)

Carpet theory, very, interesting!!!

Soon as I have money I'm off to the Polishing company!!!

:D:thumbsup:

THE MOST DANGEROUS BIT OF MY TRIKE IS THE BIT THAT JOINS THE SADDLE TO THE BARS!!:loco::triker:
Notatrike

Did i read that right !!!!

Post by Notatrike »

impudentone wrote:Well, I enjoyed that!! (I Love extreme cleaning and Shiny does it for me, sad but true!!)

Carpet theory, very, interesting!!!

Soon as I have money I'm off to the Polishing company!!!

:D:thumbsup:
"I Love extreme cleaning".........Awesome , come and visit ours, food and drink thrown in !!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously patients,a dremmel and autosol for the best results, if you are that fussy.

ooops........should that say patience?
Ghoulie
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Ghoulie »

starman wrote:hi,dont know about cleaning,but just a thought,is the bike on bare concrete?
have been told it gives off a reaction with aloy,just a thought for the future,as i had a 535xv and it happened to me,get an old carpet if you can,deff helps!
Concrete is highly alkaline - this is what you are getting a reaction from the alkali to oxidise the ally. Sealing the surface with a brush applied silicate based dustproofer - 2 coats should stop it and also prevent oil stains penetrating into the concrete
Nil carborundum illegitamae