How to register a trike

Help needed & advice given..try here
irideforlife

How to register a trike

Post by irideforlife »

Hi all. Mostly finished my partners trike. Bolt on vitara axle. It's a gl1500. Nice fat boot etc. I have just had it mot'd and it passed. I do have a weight ticked tho it is 480kgs so not sure how much tax will cost. I have loads of pictures to send of showing no alterations to frame and is a 4 bolt removal of swing arm and axle to put back to a bike.
What do I do next? I have researched it and lots of info is out of date.

Thanks
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Re: How to register a trike

Post by firebob22 »

Hi mate. I successfully registered a trike i built for my Mrs last year. Have a look under V-Star conversion in the "Trike build/restoration section" on this forum. Page 3 has a list from myself of what's needed & what i used for registration.
Tina's trike has a bolt on rear end & as such was able to keep the original bike's number plate. If you need any more info, feel free to give me a shout.
Good luck! Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Andy from Sandy

Post by Andy from Sandy »

It is not loads of pictures necessarily that you need but all the details of the parts you fitted especially where you sourced them from.

You should of given the weight ticket to the tester. He would of then tested accordingly. So your trike is a class 4. I have no idea how that affects anything, although it will mean your machine is a PLG so will cost more for VED.

Find the other thread...

There is a form you have to fill in stating what parts you used to convert it and where the parts came from. Receipts!

My partner also wrote a letter to "whom it may concern" describing exactly how the bike was converted, basically putting the form into writing.

I am going to say the DVSA do not like you getting a rusty axle from a mate.
irideforlife

Post by irideforlife »

How do I contact you andy
irideforlife

Post by irideforlife »

Hi. Read your post firebob22. Bit worried. I dont have receipts for anything. The axle came from a trike I bought but was loaded with problems.s and being honest, I couldn't sell it on so stripped and used that rear end. The work was done by me and the body was painted by a guy who has now gone out of business. Where does that leave me?
Andy from Sandy

Contact DVLA and ask the question on using a donor trike for parts. I assume you have a receipt for that?
irideforlife

Post by irideforlife »

No. Was years ago and long lost. Still have what is left and the v5 for it.
Andy from Sandy

There is an age limit to any vehicle being registered for the first time and that might include parts.

Just call DVLA in the first instance.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

the only parts ive brought for the trike trike is two wheels from a mate and a axle of face book no officiale paper work have to see how i get on