Reliant Regal Chain Drive Convertion

Help needed & advice given..try here
zakboy
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Reliant Regal Chain Drive Convertion

Post by zakboy »

OK this thread is to show how to convert the reliant regal axle to chain drive and may be usful to any one who is thinking of converting there chain drive bike to a trike.

The convertion its self is quite easy and could be done by a compleat novice so with this in mind i will try to make this thread simple to follow as poss

so first of all i will show you the diffrences in the two most common reliant axle diffs used in trike convertions so there is no mistake in the axle you will need to souce to do the chain convertion

The picture hear is of the reliant robin/realto witch is reconised by its smaller diff housing and has a two part diff casting this is the reliant axle used in trike convertion using a prop driven bikes, all though this could be converted to chain drive the diff housing is not big enought to house a sprocket of such a size as to give a good ratio for chain driven bikes

Give me the strength in life to except the things i can not change
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

The next picture is of the reliant regal axle and this is the axle you will need to convert to chain drive, this has a much bigger diff housing and has a three part casting

At the top of the picture the casting sticking out is the pinion housing this casting will be faceing towards the front of the bike so in this position we will refer to the tube on the left as the near side and the tube on the right as the off side

The section you see cut out on the left of the diff housing in this picture will not be there when you first have your axle this will be cut out later
VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

Top man Zak....looking forward to this. :respek:

This nation wasn't given to our forefathers, it was wrought over a 1000 years of bloody war and the efforts of those who came before.
Let it not be us who bears the sin, of giving it away to the enemy within.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :biker:
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

VmaxRik wrote:Top man Zak....looking forward to this. :respek:

There is not much to it Rik it is very easy to do
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

ok first job is to remove the oil filler or the drain plug in the center of the diff housing and drain all oil

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

some folk de bracket the axle and get rid of all the old hand brake brackets etc there are two heavy brackets one on each of the tubes at the flange end of each tube leave the near side one on for now as it will come in handy later

The bracket on the n/s tube leave on till convertion is finished

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

next job will be to split the diff housing so remove all the long bolts that go though from one side of the diff casting to the other,there are also 4 studs with nuts 2 each side of the pinion housing

in the botom picture you can see the housing that holds in the pinion remove that and you can remove the pinion
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

once all the bolts are out the diff castings the diff housing can then be split to remove the diff,at first it will seem like it is just all going to split easly but the berrings may be a little tight in there casting or on the diff its self so it might take a bit of prising to seperate, if need be use a hammer on the heavy brackets you left on the tubes to tap it a part ... it will seperate, some times the berring will remain in there casting or some times they will stay on and come out with the diff
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

once the diff housing has been split you will have the diff and it will look somthing like this one in the picture but the bearring will be diffrent, this picture i have used as an exsample it is a robin /realto diff as the original diff has already had the ring gear removed so all i am tying to show you in this picture is what the ring gear looks like so you know what you have to remove.....the ring gear is the thing with all the teeth looking things going a round it

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

ok if you turn the diff up the other way you will see 8 bolts going though the crown wheel that hold the ring gear on they need to be removed the ring gear will then come off the crown wheel i must make one point hear some gear rings are held on by rivots and not bolts so you may have 8 rivots so you will need to grind or driil the heads off and tap them out