V8 top end & timing chest rebuild.

Help needed & advice given..try here
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Mmmmmmm, that sounds like the same problem I have with the 4l lump, but I am sure I put composite in.
Tis only happening into No.3.

I really should take that head off an get it pressure tested, judt not really got the spare cash.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
VmaxRik
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by VmaxRik »

After a good sit down and thinking sesh....I actually managed to get my brain in gear for once.

Because the compression ratio is now much higher than it used to be, there is no way i should be chucking the same amount of fuel into what is now a very much reduced space. It's called over fueling...Doh !!

So I turned the fuel valve down to 3psi (as opposed to the 8psi it WAS running) and adjusted the mixtures accordingly....and left them on the weak side. Much better.

Then went back and adjusted the ignition timing, adjusted the mixtures once again and now there's just a gentle haze coming from the catch tank filter rather than Puffing Billy impressions....this is a good thing. :niceone:

Also, if you think back to the main reason I half stripped the motor in the first place, was to replace the front cover and it's useless piece of rope crankshaft oil seal. Now this thing really did chuck oil all over the gaff....mostly at me some four feet behind it.

So, now the seal that didn't, has been replaced by one that does....where's any blow by going to go. Yup, straight out of the rocker boxes and into and out of the oil catch tank and it's top filter rather than out of the useless crank oil seal....hello brain, it's been a while. :alkies::alkies:

This nation wasn't given to our forefathers, it was wrought over a 1000 years of bloody war and the efforts of those who came before.
Let it not be us who bears the sin, of giving it away to the enemy within.

:guns: :guns: :guns: :biker:
VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

PS.....I've now got something Rover never managed to make.

An oil leak free V8, get in there. :niceone:

This nation wasn't given to our forefathers, it was wrought over a 1000 years of bloody war and the efforts of those who came before.

1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

VmaxRik wrote:PS.....I've now got something Rover never managed to make.

An oil leak free V8, get in there. :niceone:
How?

I've tried evereything, and the sump gasket still weeps, all be it a very small amount.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

Extremely clean metal to metal surfaces...then RTV sealant, the stuff works wonders. :niceone:

VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

When I rebuilt the oil pump I had to use an old spare set of gears, which were to be honest a bit worn and chipped at the gear tips. So i bit the bullet and ordered a new set and an uprated MGB V8 relief valve and spring.

They all turned up today in oiled greaseproof bags...how quaint. :)

VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

Just fitted the new pump gears/relief valve....very happy boy now, got all my oil pressure back. :)

20lbs with the fans on at tickover....50lbs at 3000RPM then the pressure relief valve cuts in. :niceone:

yammy1300
V8 Killer

Post by yammy1300 »

VmaxRik wrote:Just fitted the new pump gears/relief valve....very happy boy now, got all my oil pressure back. :)

20lbs with the fans on at tickover....50lbs at 3000RPM then the pressure relief valve cuts in. :niceone:

Nice one Rik, all ready for Stockton then :)
:cooldevil: A trike is only restricted by your imagination
VmaxRik

Post by VmaxRik »

Looks that way. :)

Just the five MOT's to get done in May (who the hell thought THAT was a good idea !!!) and we'll be sorted.

Doc.

Post by Doc. »

Don't forget though, Oil flow is more important than pressure (within limits).
Things that there's just no excuse for fitting on a Trike;
'Dodgy' registration,
Telescopic Forks.
Bike Tyres on the rear.
Car seats
Anything in the shape of a knuckle-duster,
Maltese Cross, flame, chain or Skull.
Alloy tread/chequer plate.