XV1100 conversion advise

Help needed & advice given..try here
Paul T

XV1100 conversion advise

Post by Paul T »

]Hi! all I have brought a XV1100 which I intend to convert to trike. Has any one got pics of the converted swinging arm. I would like to use tube for this. The swinging arm fittings are separate , (one each side). I am use to a bolt right through. Will this be strong enough for the extra weight and stress if the axle. I am useing a reliant 3.2 axle and 17 inch alloys, 225 x40 x17 tyres. If I fit the axle central to the bike will it make a problem as the propshaft will be at a side ways angle as well as having to move up and down with the suspension. Look forward to your replies. Thanks Paul
Last edited by Paul T on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Re: XV1100 conversion advise

Post by firebob22 »

Hi Paul, all the swingarm conversions i've seen for XV's have all been heavily modified to place the diff in line with the engine output shaft to keep the propshaft as straight as possible. I've seen other bike/trike conversions that have the diff central in the swingarm & as you say, the propshaft is at an acute angle, they must work as they are on the road but i don't know what strain that would put on the UJ bearings. Also, make sure you know the rotation of the axle compared to your bike's shaft rotation as you may have to flip the axle to get them the same. Shortening one side of the axle to get the diff to line up isn't a problem & a lot of trikes running Reliant axles do this, my two included. You may have to also uprate your suspension to take the heavier weights involved. Hagon shocks are really helpful people to ask & that's where i had mine made. Take a look on Youtube for XV1100 trike conversions, there's a lot of images on there showing the parts you're talking about. Hope this helps. Good luck! Bob :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Paul T

Post by Paul T »

Thanks for your reply and advise firebob22
shiney

Post by shiney »

i agree with firebob I have a xv 920 that I triked my self I have a austin a30 axle on it had to flip it to get the rotation correct that was no prob,s my diff is in the center havent had a problem with my propshaft I found most of my info on line just looking at pics and working it out. mine is a mono shock havent uprated it at all and is working fine. hope the build goes well and hope to see some pics in the future. shiney