rear mudguards

Help needed & advice given..try here
Jonah1400

rear mudguards

Post by Jonah1400 »

hi all , ive posted this before but no one answered the question ,surely someone must know ????
how do i fit mudguards on the rear wheels ??
in other words ,whats the spacing from the tyre ( tread) to the mounting struts also how far apart should the struts be on the mudguard, obviously i know the mudguard length comes into it but do they have to be a certain distance from the front and rear etc??
any answers appreciated even if its common sense !!!!! :thumbsup:
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: rear mudguards

Post by Deep Diver »

There is no set measurement.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

An easy way to space the muddie off the tyre is use a couple of lengths of 3/4 or 1" hose laid on the tyre with the muddie sat on top. Then you fabricate the supports to hold the guard in that position. Supports using tube either square or round are better than using strip as they resist flexing which will fracture strip supports in short order!
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

This is flat 5mm steel. At the closest point it is about 12mm from the tyre where it folds over. Over the middle of the tyre it is about 25mm above it.

The mudguard is stuck on with Sikasil sg-20 stuff used in the glazing industry and reinforced using mesh used in repairing holes in car panels.

Welds crack if not done properly leaving the metal in stress. Mudguards crack when they are bolted rigidly to the struts and the vibration is transmitted directly into them.