Do I go with Raked yokes or different handlebars

Help needed & advice given..try here
chris forward

Do I go with Raked yokes or different handlebars

Post by chris forward »

Back in April I bought a trike conversion. It’s a Yamaha 950 XVS Midnight star. It’s not my first trike. I previously owned a Harley Sportster 1250 but haven’t ridden for nearly three years. I’m finding my new trike very hard on my body. I wondered initially if it was the riding position as I’m leaning much further forward than on my old trike.
I am kind of disabled but in denial and in the last few years my fitness has declined. There are a lot of roundabouts and big roads/ motorways near me and my trike is killing my neck, shoulders and elbows! I have had surgery on shoulders and elbows so it’s causing me pain.
It’s also killing my back. I visited my son last Saturday and it’s 58 miles there and back. It’s taken until today for me to be able to move properly.
I have contacted the place where I bought it and they have recommended either raked yokes which I’m sure my previous trike had, or possibly just changing the handlebars to bring the riding position back. I don’t have the technical knowledge (sorry female rider) to make this decision. I bought the trike new and it was more than I wanted to spend, so I don’t want to spend loads more on it. But I don’t want to give up and not ride anymore.
I guess my question is, if I go for the raked yokes will that be enough or am I going to have to do the handlebars as well because it’s not going to change the riding position.
I have to take it to the dealer on Friday to have a look and discuss and that’s a 120 mile round trip which will kill me and it’s all motorway!!
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: Do I go with Raked yokes or different handlebars

Post by Andy from Sandy »

I doubt that raked yokes will bring the bars back very far. They ought to though make the steering a little lighter so is a good modification on motorcycle conversions.

For your riding position you need to sit comfortably how you want to, close your eyes and just reach out with your arms to where you feel you want them. Then find bars to fit.

The other thing to look at is a seat with a built in back rest.
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by gorbee01279 »

I had exactly the same problem. I have had four trikes to try & get comfortable with numerous mods to rectify the problems I had, to no avail. Although I was never really a fan of Boom trikes I brought one, my fifth one & that has solved all my problems, It's like sitting in an arm chair if anything it's to comfortable.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

I used bar risers on the pan it give me 3 inches to bring the bars back to a comfortable position
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi Chris, just read your question & i might be able to help. Raked yokes are a nice idea but very expensive & if your trike steers ok with little or no wobble then i wouldn't bother. They won't bring your bars back very much if at all & to fit them requires a fairly significant front end strip down. I've done plenty of these on custom Harleys & know the ins & outs of them.
How about pullback bar risers? If you've not seen them, they look like boomerangs & lift your bars up & back by various amounts depending on what size you go for i.e. you could have a 1inch lift & 3inch back, depends on what you need.
My wife & i have XVS1100 & XVS650 trikes & as yours is just a different version will have 1inch diameter bars so if you go down the riser route make sure of the bar size.
You may also need to check the length of your cables & brake line as they may need to be lengthened to suit the new set up, but then you might be lucky & have enough play so everything fits.
A seat with a backrest is a good idea & will ease your sitting position & when you're comfy, reach forward to where your arms are comfy, measure to where you need the bars to fit & try to work out what riser combo you need.
New bars come in various widths & pullback so a little search of the aftermarket is a good place to start as they have dimensions etc., & don't cost the earth. Highway Hawk, CCI & various other companies have a great choice for those of us who aren't built like Gibbons!
Well, good luck & if you need any more help or info, please feel free to give me a shout.
Take it easy. Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

My trike has Easy-Steer fitted ...slightly raked forks 4.5-5 degree's...........I have not ridden one without but I can say my own seems very easy to steer and is also kind on the arms,shoulders, elbows,neck etc......I always think the pegs on the "Cruiser style" bikes don't help as they are too far forward and give more pressure on the lower back....foot/cruiserboards are always a good idea as you can adjust your riding position...Where I live you can't go more than a few hundred yards without corners,"S" bends etc,I've done lots of miles round the "Snake Pass", Cat'n'Fiddle", Peak District etc where there are loads of "S" Bends/Corners and after 2-3 hours always been fine ,so far I have racked up over 5,000 miles in just under two years, not suffered any aches/pains so the Easi-Steer must be doing it's job.Different Risers/H/bars may bring them back slightly but "In My Own Opinion" will not make the steering any lighter.. As Gorbee said earlier he bought a "Boom Trike" to be comfortable...look at the rake on those...
Last edited by paul.r on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
southernscouse

Post by southernscouse »

I have read a lot about raked triple trees which would seem to make steering less of an effort for older less muscle bound riders is there a manufacturer of these for older bikes like my cx