Front Tyre Advice

Help needed & advice given..try here
Moggy3legs

Front Tyre Advice

Post by Moggy3legs »

Image[/img][/img][/img]Hi. Just brought a trike that's XJ900 Yamaha 1993 front and a new Casiva rear.

The front tyre is a ridiculously skinny 1993 100/90/r18 56v

Ive tried from 24psi to 40psi. At 24psi the tyre wants to kill me and its like riding on a flat front on a 2 wheel bike. At 40psi you can wrestle the bike but, and a big one the, front slides when you give the throttle a tweak, with the front wheel turned.

Riding the trike is like wrestling a pig.

Looked at AVON Cobra Trike Tyres and the nearest size is 130/70/r18 65v.

With the best will the world I can't see a 130 fitting on a rim for a 100 width.

The rake of my front forks is standard as is the front tyre for a 2 wheeler. I know I need the fork rake changing but hope a tyre change will help before finding the cost for headstock change.

Found this helpful. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -130-70r18
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Moggy3legs on Sun May 28, 2023 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: Front Tyre Advice

Post by Davey the punk »

You could try a side car tyre on the front my mates swears by them on his trikes
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Moggy3legs

Post by Moggy3legs »

Davey the punk wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:02 pm You could try a side car tyre on the front my mates swears by them on his trikes
Thanks im off looking
Moggy3legs

Post by Moggy3legs »

Found these but a little concerned on load and speed ratings. Popular advise appears to be fit them in the wrong rotation direction on the front of a trike

https://www.feked.com/400-x-18-avon-sm-mkii-tyre.html
Moggy3legs

Post by Moggy3legs »

BATTLAX BT-45. 4.00-18 64H TL or the improved BT-46 https://tyretectrading.co.uk/tyres/brid ... ycle-tyre/
Appear close to my original tyres. Still not sure as never fitted a rear tyre to the front before.
Moggy3legs

Post by Moggy3legs »

After searching for 2 days this is the only tubeless rear, I can find, to match my

https://www.bigtyres.co.uk/110-90-18-br ... r-61h.html

Also found an interesting article from Avon saying "if you fit a rear tyre to the front you should reverse the direction of rotation".

Avon FAQ: Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front? Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre's direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike.
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

The side car tyre has a flatter profile u fit it the reverse direction
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Moggy3legs

Post by Moggy3legs »

Davey the punk wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:03 pm The side car tyre has a flatter profile u fit it the reverse direction
Cant find a sidecar tyre of the right size, loading and speed rating.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

Those Avon sidecar tyres are high profile, I tried one once and it wouldn't find under the mudguard on my CX500/Squire outfit. Took the mudguard off to try the tyre, horrible, no grip - I was told once that they're still made because Austin 7 owners use them.
If that trike was mine I'd be looking to sort the trail first, can you slide the fork legs up through the yokes a bit? Or try a smaller front wheel?
I don't suppose you've an LSD in the back axle?