goldwing gl1200 fork problem

Help needed & advice given..try here
johngee

goldwing gl1200 fork problem

Post by johngee »

hi i have a problem with the forks bottoming out on my goldwing trike i have rebuilt the forks with new bushes as these were destroyed and new seals and atf fluid also fitted progressive springs which are shorter than the honda ones which were two piece the trike still sits low and bouncing the front end you can here the forks bottoming ,do i need to use spacers or refit the honda springs any advice would be helpful as i do not want to rip things apart if it does not need it
King Herald

Re: goldwing gl1200 fork problem

Post by King Herald »

Proper fork oil would help, atf is pretty thin. And if the springs you fitted are shorter than the originals I’d definitely fit spacers.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

I've fitted progressive springs to two bikes and the information sent with them says to fit spacers
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
johngee

Post by johngee »

thanks guys i will give that a go i have some 10w oil and i can make up spacers but what length should they be? or is it a case of try it and see? i am also worried about any damage caused to the fork bottoms as the old bushes were destroyed
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

IIRC aren't your forks air-assisted and if so are they pumped up enough?
johngee

Post by johngee »

ok so i pulled the forks apart AGAIN and on the left fork the bottom bush stayed in the fork bottom and the top one was seized in its place so i had a great deal from broken wings breakers and got a pair of forks for £70 the top tubes were not good but the bottoms were good with serviceable bushes ,i fitted 1 inch spacers and 15w oil so all together now with little sag and not sticking down its a little firm but untill i take it for a ride i wont know if its to firm i might have to remove the spacers ,we will see and i will post my findings thanks for the help and i hope my problems will have helped somebody .oh and they do not suggest any air with my set up cheers
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Think the last set I did on a Harley sportster the spacer was nearly 2"
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
johngee

Post by johngee »

yeh i will see how it goes handling wise i am hoping that it all settles in so i dont have to take off those dam fork tops
johngee

Post by johngee »

so yesterday i decided that the forks where to stiff so removed the spacer and dropped 50ml of oil out of forks so much better