Dover area.

Trike Clubs & Forums from the UK & Beyond!
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Re: Dover area.

Post by Aztec »

Sean, nobody is calling you a liar and i only wanted to know where my money would be going, i think your getting a bit touchy about BTW when there's no need to and also some of our members on here are quite happy being BTW members.

Now then when were you going to go into the new members section and introduce yourself ?

:respek:
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

Sorry to cause any trouble Sean. like Aztec said just asking question. and in the past I have the answers for my questions from your head man Dean Punky Barnitt. so I will back out of this one now :respek:
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Post by Sean (BTW_UK Area9) »

No problem. Not getting touchy at all. I respect what you all have to say and we all have choice to either join or not join. And we all have the right of free speech...er....kind of...lol.
Aztec. Are you happy regarding where your money is going now? If not please feel free to ask what you want to know. BTW are a good friendly bunch of people and as I said there are no hidden agendas .
No don't feel you have to back out Terry. Its just that I said some of the money goes towards running stands and you said none of it does so I kinda thought you said I was lying. Sorry for any misunderstanding mate. As I said, we want to get on with everyone be they members or not.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

The likes of BTW . fuct and the trike forum are a good idea they put people in touch with the same interest the only difference is you meet more which is good for folks who haven't got folk to ride with or meet with the same intrest . £25 isn't a lot of money and like you said you probly get that back on insurance savings . derek why don't you pop along to the next meeting and see how you get on trikers and bikers are a friendly bunch personally its not my cup of tea I done the MCC thing some years ago and got fed up with the rules and politics I'm not saying your like a MCC just my personal experience .the one thing that shocked me was 50% of the money going to usa I wouldn't be comftable with that I would want the money to go to English good causes but if I realy wanted to do the btw thing that probly wouldn't stop me joining . I hope your going to stay around when this thread is finished like you said we all have the same interests if so pop along to new members and say hello
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

I think it is 70% that goes back to the USA.
It also is a little odd that as a non profit organisation they are incorporated, with a board of directors. The by-laws allow for these positions to be salaried.

The American set up allows for a trial membership. It does not seem to be an option over here.

Like Jinj says, anything that promotes a interest has to be good.

And Sean, please don't make such a big thing about the insurance.
Insurance discounts are very rarely even close to 10%. Even a 10% it would not cover the £25, and that is on a V8 with only 4 years no claims. !0% off my insurance would be nearer £18, about the amount of any subscription that goes to The States.

You are more than welcome to rock up at our Stockton gathering next year.
I understand your gazebo and kit is based in the Midlands, so you will not have far to collect and return it :)
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Ello
You seem to be focusing too much on what goes to the States. That is the nature of being a Chapter. If we didn't do it we wouldn't be BTW. Surely you should focus on what you get for your money. 1130cc... In your case membership for a year would be a mere £7 if as you say you would get £18 discount. That's about two pints of beer. Seems pretty cheap to me. My insurance was over £300 so I saved over £30 and if your insurance is with Bikesure or Whittlesey then I understand they give exactly 10%. Bikesure certainly did for me.
Oh and I might be wrong but I believe the stand and display equipment is actually based wherever it was used last. I'm in East Kent so that would usually involve quite a trek.
Jinjachin...the only politics involved is the back patch thing. Its really no big deal. We are not a club we are an association. That means there is no prospecting involved. You don't have to earn your patch. If you want a patch, front and/or back, you just buy it. I know exactly what you mean regarding the politics in MCs and MCCs and I can't be doing with that stuff anymore either. If BTW was anything like that I would never have joined. But the fact is that it isn't. The only main rule we have regarding patches is that no MC support patches are worn alongside the BTW patches. We are 100% neutral. We are for and against no one and we want to be seen to be for or against no one. That way we get along with everyone and I for one, like that. However, in saying that, if you want to wear support patches you can. Just not on the same jacket as the BTW patches. We are quite strict on that one and I believe, rightly so.
Anyone can have a look at our website. Go to 'downloads' then 'membership info pack'. Have a look to see who is the RC in your local area. Find out when their next meeting is and pop along as a guest. Don't take my word for anything. Go have a natter with some of our members.
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Okay. I've got an answer for a previous question I was asked. That money goes to the USA because BTW IS an American association. We are the UK Chapter of the American BTW. Those people are salaried because running BTW is a full time job. Running an international association with over 20,000 members is not a part time job and can't be done as a hobby.
Another thing I forgot to mention which is well worth taking into consideration is the fact that here in the UK membership is per household not per person. BTW-UK is the only Chapter of BTW that does this. Every other Chapter in the world, including the US, membership is per person. It was negotiated a few years ago and as yet we are still the only Chapter to offer the membership per household. So your £25 makes you and your partner a member. I'll find out if that includes children for you. But is certainly includes you and your partner. I'll get back to you regarding the children in your house.
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Yes children automatically become Junior members. And we even have a patch for them too. So its the whole household for £25.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Derek74 wrote:Hi everyone.

I am a newbie to triking and I am looking for trikes clubs or groups in East Kent. Dover, Folkestone area.
I saw the post on here from btw and I have sent off for information from but can anyone recommend any others?
I want to find out a bit about all of them before I decide which one to join.
Thanks in advance.

Derek.
Been talking to a friend of mine down your way Derek, and he says there's the Trojan Trike Club down there and the Trike Owners Association, he's also arranging a meet up at the reca bikers cafe in Maidstone next Saturday if your interested.
:respek:
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Interesting that I've never heard of the Trojan Trike Club and can't find any reference to them on the net. Do they actually exist? Or perhaps they did but don't anymore. I really don't know. If anyone has got any info on them I'd be very interested. The Trike Owners Association are a nice bunch of people but from what I can make out they are purely a facebook group with a patch. (I stand to be corrected on that if I'm wrong). And there's nowt wrong with that. Not knocking them. I know a few of them. Good guys.