legality

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
gareth136
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: legality

Post by gareth136 »

Trying to tax my trike :bang: it's come up on system as no mot rang dvla and they said tax it at post office and they can over ride the mot part because it's not due untill 2019 so the system the tax people/police /post office use to check whether a vehicle is road legal will come up as taxed and insured but no mot........but dvla have said it ok :bang: :bang: and I thought getting insurance was bad :hide:
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

gareth136 wrote:Yokes turned up today and I was right the fork holes are 38mm the forks I'm going to be using are 37mm would it be safe to have sleeves made up ? In an ideal world I would just get new 38mm forks but that does mean changing everything in the front end which Will cost a fortune :hide:
IMG_2654.PNG
With the type of yokes you have there I wouldbe wary of machining them out, is there really enough metal? The suggestion is good enough, provided you answer is yes.
gareth136

Post by gareth136 »

minimutly wrote:
gareth136 wrote:Yokes turned up today and I was right the fork holes are 38mm the forks I'm going to be using are 37mm would it be safe to have sleeves made up ? In an ideal world I would just get new 38mm forks but that does mean changing everything in the front end which Will cost a fortune :hide:
IMG_2654.PNG
With the type of yokes you have there I wouldbe wary of machining them out, is there really enough metal? The suggestion is good enough, provided you answer is yes.
Do you think top hat type sleeves would be ok to use then ?
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Hard to say without seeing them in front of me Gareth - you need to think that the yokes are relying on clamping the force around the stanchions, and you will be removing something like 2mm from the inside of the clamp. Look at it this way then - measure up the thickness of the clamp, then work out what fraction of this the machined out metal is. You will be losing that amount of strength. Ie if you have 6mm to start, say for arguments sake 2mm to be machined out, you will lose a third of your original strength. Is the remaining metal sufficient? Who would like to guess?
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

@MM - I see the point you are trying to make, but not described correctly imo. Boring the yoke out won't lose any clamping force / pressure - in fact it'll increase as clamping force is down to friction x area and as the dia. is greater so will be the area. BUT I do agree that if the bored hole is excessively close to the outer edge of the clamping section, that could fail. Although as that section is only ever in tension (from the clamp screws) a min. x-section of 3mm in aluminium should be sufficient. Post a top view pic of the top yoke Gareth - we'll soon be able to tell.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Yes, poorly described the issue, well done for making sense of it kawazuki. For what its worth
I would say anything less than 5mm is too little.
gareth136

Post by gareth136 »

If it helps non of it make any sense to me :o far to technical :hide:
IMG_2711.JPG
IMG_2710.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

With my highly calibrated measuring eye, it looks like you've 6-7mm thickness at the thinnest bit so could easily bore 2mm out to open hole dia. up to 40mm to receive 39.75mm OD / 37mm ID top hat split sleeves. I'm guessing the lower yoke is pretty much the same?
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

On the first picture measure with a steel rule from the edge of the hole to the outside of the yoke, at the thinnest point.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke: