VN700 Safe water temp

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
hightower

VN700 Safe water temp

Post by hightower »

Hi all
I've fitted an after market electronic water temp gauge. I was just wondering at what temperature does the radiator fan come on? I'm not sure the thermostat is working as it should. The fan does kick in but I think the water is getting very hot before the fan comes on.
My trike is a Kawasaki VN700 1985. Thinking ahead. Are there any other radiators that will fit?
Any help would be very much appreciated
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: VN700 Safe water temp

Post by Kawazuki »

85 - 95 deg C would be about right at a guess - my car is set at over a 100! What temp is yours - actual, don't just guess Hot! LOL
Other rads? - anything can be made to fit where it wasn't 'spose to! Other solution - ride faster!
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

I have an adjustable thermostat on the V8 and I have it set to 85DegC

Saying that, I have no idea what a VN700 should run at.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
BigMat1971
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by BigMat1971 »

Kawazuki wrote:Other solution - ride faster!
Ride it like you stole it :thumbsup:
hightower

Post by hightower »

Thanks for fast replies folks
I turned the trike off when the temp reached 112 c.
I checked the thermostat and water pump and their both good
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

Have you checked what temperature the thermostat open at
have you tested the temperature gauge
hightower

Post by hightower »

Hi Terryt
The temp gauge is brand new, so assume its ok. I haven't checked at what temp the thermostat opened. All I did was put it in a sause pan of boiling water. It opened at the same pace as the one I was checking out on youtube. How would I test at what temp the thermostat opens? Can't do it on Trike as radiator isn't coming on
You help is very much appreciated
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Is this road legal? If so, is temp rising whilst riding or stationary in the garage say? If the former then you should see on the temp gauge when the stat opens as the temp will climb then drop and stabilize. If stationary its harder to tell as the rad needs airflow for realistic temp measuring. Does the fan actually work? Quite common for stones to lodge between fins and fan blades stopping rotation. Disconnect the fan switch and bridge the connections of the harness - with ign. on the fan should run.
hightower

Post by hightower »

I disconnected the fan switch and put it against the rad with ignition on. Nothing. The fan blades turn freely so there are no stones blocking them. A mate o mine has a rad motor off an unknown 400cc. Will it be powerful enough for a 700?
Has anyone heard of summer and winter thermostats? If they do exist is there much difference?
Again thank you
hightower

Post by hightower »

I won't have internet access for next 7 days, but will reply to any posts upon my return.
(I'm not ignoring you)