XJ750 Seca Trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: XJ750 Seca Trike

Post by 1130cc »

Carex bottles have loads of uses.
Here is my brake bleeder. The pipe fits exactly in the hole when the pump is removed.

Source: http://www.easy-it.co.uk/blog/?p=1151
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Herby01 »

Mmmm that's a nice clean lump! I like nice clean motors, you can keep an eye on everything.
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

The Fuel Tank is as fitted by the manufacturer just the badges removed, it looked OK until I sanded it down ready for spraying, now it has more use as a tea strainer. There are a few small holes along the bottom edges at the lowest point of the tank, the usual place where they rust. I'm going to try some POR 15 to seal it ..... unless anyone knows of something better?
I rebuilt the fuel tap and level sender so they now both work, also managed to get a new shiny petrol cap from Flea Bay, so its still work in progress.
Talking of tea strainers I had a close look at the exhaust pipes, they are not looking the best. On the Seca the headers should run into a collector box under the engine and from there to 2 silencers, mine run all 4 into 1 and a single silencer on the right hand side thats points at the back axle !!
I was thinking if I could get the rust off then maybe a spray can of hi-temp paint might just tart them up until I could afford some new ones.... thing again ....
Zaust 1.jpg
Zaust 2.jpg
I'm afraid the pictures dont really show the full extent of the metal worm ....
yes even the "welding" has a few holes too!!!
My thinking now is to braze over the holes, but I dont know if I can find enough good stuff to stick it to, then exhaust wrap to hide the mess (just as a temp measure to get me on the road).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

I hate the metal worm :o also wish I had a tube bender so I could make my own wierd and wonderful pipes :thumbsup:
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

With you on that one, there is a second hand set of headers on Flea Bay at the moment for £175 . . . . I need to win the lottery !!
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Why don't you use some exhaust repair tape then put wrap over the top to make it look tidy
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

Lol! Cover it in gun gum and hide it :poke: might come back to bite your ass when you least expect it! Not a fan of doing half a job, you've done a brilliant job so far might as well do the same standard on the zorst
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Will give you time to save up though . then spend my money on parts that need doing then fix when i had the cash
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

Well I had another go at the zorst today, yes ultimately I will have to spend on a new set and I already know what i want .... but I managed to braze over the pinholes and will have to patch the underside of the can .... its solid, not pretty, but will cover with wrap until I can afford a new set. I think that I may have to spend my pennies on other thing first !!!
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

Well its been a while since I managed to make any progress, I now have a seven month old little girl and I'm just getting back to it so.... with a huge posthumous thanks to Brian I've now got the exhaust sorted. Fuel tank sealed with POR15 and holding petrol, carbs cleaned and new throttle shaft seals, float levels set, new plugs and caps, new battery (again), wiring re-done.
20170305_150736.jpg
But ...... had a problem starting, had to use full choke and almost flood it (hands over cabs) to get it running, and then it didnt sound right.... sooooo ..... check spark ..OK but not fantastic.. fuel good... hmmmm the plot thickens.... check valve timing ... nope thats good... valve clearances ... nope they are all within tolerance ... check compression ... oh for sock snake! ive only got 50 PSI per cylinder, bugger... a quick squirt of oil in each plug hole upped it to 75 psi. Well thats a kick in the teeth as I brought new rings and had the bores "glaze busted" but it was just wishfull thinking that it would be ok.
So now it looks like this..........again
20170311_205710.jpg
I have managed to source a set of +1.00 mm pistons and rings for a 35 year old motor, .25mm would have been enough but they are like rocking horse poo! So after taking out a second mortgage I have ordered them and will get a re-bore on the "pots" and try again.
Oh, also after removing the head I turned it over and filled the wells with petrol, after 15 mins there was a slight weep on 3 & 4 exhaust valves but nothing to worry about... I may lap the valves just to be sure.....
Ah well, onward and upwards .... :bang: :bang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.