Overheating Kawasaki VN700 Trike - Thanks all

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Still need help with an overheating Kawasaki VN700 Trike

Post by Herby01 »

Are you loosing any water? Another sign of a Duff gasket is excessive water vapour from your exhaust
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
hightower

Post by hightower »

Kawazuki wrote:Fan switches are usually bulletproof! How is it wired - switching 12v or switching earth?
I'm not sure how its was wired cuz a mate did it. It is now - from fuse box to toggle switch to rad fan. the rad switch is now an earth. I'm going to fit a relay between the fuse box and toggle switch
hightower

Post by hightower »

jinjachin wrote:If you are over heating @70 mph its more than a fan switch your fan shouldn't come on doing 70 or over heat i would say it your rad is knackered or head gasket . have you any oil in your water or other way around although that's not always the case if it was a collapsed hose your hose would feel soft also check your rad for bubbles when it's running
I suspected the head gasket so I put gasket seal in the rad but no different. Theres no water in oil or other way round or blue smoke out of exhaust. There is a bottom rad hose that feels a bit soft tho. Theres no bubble is the water when its running
hightower

Post by hightower »

terryt wrote:Have you done a cylinder compression test, engine cold then warm. also if you have access to one do a rad pressure test again cold then warm
Thanks again
I'll ask around and if anyone has any testers
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

hightower wrote:
terryt wrote:Have you done a cylinder compression test, engine cold then warm. also if you have access to one do a rad pressure test again cold then warm
Thanks again
What area are you from?
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

hightower wrote:Oh and the over flow bottle is next to the right hand side panel but a bit lower
This rings alarm bells, to me, given your answer to all the other questions.

Are you sure that you do not have an airlock?
I would defo try and get this higher than any water channel, at least temporarily.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

1130cc wrote:
hightower wrote:Oh and the over flow bottle is next to the right hand side panel but a bit lower
This rings alarm bells, to me, given your answer to all the other questions.

Are you sure that you do not have an airlock?
I would defo try and get this higher than any water channel, at least temporarily.
If the rad / thermostat housing has a spring cap then the expansion bottle can be anywhere - its not critical. As water expands out of the rad it flows to the bottle under the level in the bottle - any trapped air bubbles off & bottle level rises. As water cools with engine off it contracts and 'sucks' water back from bottle to engine. Its not a sealed system but is fairly well self regulating.
hightower

Post by hightower »

Hi
Thanks for that. According to the manual its where its supposed to be. Also I'm not sure where else I can put it. I've managed to get some great advise from you guys. Many thanks
hightower

Post by hightower »

terryt wrote:
hightower wrote:
Thanks again
What area are you from?
I'm from Redditch (near Brum)
hightower

Post by hightower »

Herby01 wrote:Are you loosing any water? Another sign of a Duff gasket is excessive water vapour from your exhaust
I'm losing some but not loads. I put it down to water getting very hot