Turbine powered trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
jet toy maker

Turbine powered trike

Post by jet toy maker »

Hi all,
OK here is the start of the Turbine powered trike, first off is the power plant. The engine is home built by a friend of mine in Sweden. He built the engine using off the shelf parts, i have started to build the same type of engine but he ask me i would like to buy it so i did. He had this engine in his bike which ran a top speed of 300 plus KMH (186 MHP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD8YEGD6TW4 I made up a test stand so i can run the engine and get the feel of it, i will pull it apart for cleaning and check all the parts to make sure they are OK for a full power run as i want to make exact measure of thrust of the engine, he said ~ 150 lbs of thrust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jet toy maker

Re: Turbine powered trike

Post by jet toy maker »

A lot more work needs to be done on the test stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Looks like you've use some turbo parts
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

Deep Diver wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:08 pm Looks like you've use some turbo parts
Yep large TV94 garrett turbine wheel and comp wheel.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

im impressed with the test stand so looking forward to the build , build threads are great the give you motivoin when things are not going well
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

jinjachin wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:49 pm im impressed with the test stand so looking forward to the build , build threads are great the give you motivoin when things are not going well
Thanks, yeah it's good to get feed back as well. I change the thrust measuring device, this will work out set up a small video camera under the test stand.
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

The gearbox i will be using is out of the Boeing 502 gas turbine- generator unit, it's a reduction gearbox no gear changes on this open the throttle and hang on. So basically the hot gases enter the nozzle guide vanes and directed onto the turbine wheel which turns the shaft. So the turbine engine will spin at ~70,000 RPM and the reduction gearbox will spin ~ 6,000 rpm
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

I made a couple of modifications to the gearbox, dill out the studs and tap 8 mm threaded holes so i can screw on mounting bosses and tap a 3/4 pipe thread for the oil drain. I need to circulate oil through the gearbox and into a cooler, there will be a lot of heat generated from the engine.
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

Machine up the bosses and drill and countersink hole for cap screws.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

the internals on the box are very simular to reduction hubs on a fork lift . very intresting project