Chopper's trike.

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Chopper303

Re: Chopper's trike.

Post by Chopper303 »

jet toy maker wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 am Thanks for sharing your build Mr Chopper, i will be watching your build. I was thinking of building my own frame for my first trike project, but i think i'm lacking the skills at this time, and it would be less of a headache trying to build the trike i am building at the moment, but it will work out.
Hey buddy, I have read your jet build, I don't think lack of skills is a problem for you. LOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chopper.
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

old git wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 pm Looking good chop,yes the 1300 and 1600 blocks are the same, worked on a lot of these crossflows back in the day lovely smoothe simple engine very tuneable.
That's good to hear that from someone else, thank you. I am aiming to just get the trike running properly and reliable. Want to get it done and on the road ASAP. Once I know how it performs as a standard engine, I will have a think about tuning and go faster goodies. Couple of guys I know in the Ford Owners club have told me that it is one of the easiest motors to Turbo charge. Like the idea but I find that when you try and boost power, that is when you start getting reliability problems. This is the first trike I have built for more than twelve years, so I have some catching up to do. I am hoping that with a full service, new oil, plugs etc that the engine will give me enough power for what I want to do. I just want a legal, smart and tidy trike that starts easily and gets me home. Something that I will not be embarrassed to admit that I built myself.

chopper
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Chop, I know enough about turboing Bikes and Cars having done a few of both and i'm also into the classic Ford scene and whilst a x-flow may appear 'easy' to turbo . . . . . virtually no one actually does it! In last 8-10 yrs, I've heard of 1 or 2 attempts which, although working, didn't perform much better than a well tuned NA engine. For what you want, build a nice 1600 with torque in mind, mated to the slush box - sorted!
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

Kawazuki wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:34 am Chop, I know enough about turboing Bikes and Cars having done a few of both and i'm also into the classic Ford scene and whilst a x-flow may appear 'easy' to turbo . . . . . virtually no one actually does it! In last 8-10 yrs, I've heard of 1 or 2 attempts which, although working, didn't perform much better than a well tuned NA engine. For what you want, build a nice 1600 with torque in mind, mated to the slush box - sorted!
Thanks Kawazuki. It is something I have not given much thought to. I like turbocharged motors, but never built one. Like I said earlier, to begin with I am just going to get the motor running properly and see how it performs after a good service. If I need more power, I can consider all the options as and when the need arises. I want a trike that I can rely on and not have to mess about with every week. Bit of a fingers crossed job here, but I am hoping that the 1300 Crossflow will be enough to get me around. Not looking at winning races or anything, I still have a Bandit 1200 and an XV950 if I really want to get stupid. My medical problems have no cure, they are just going to get worse. The old military injuries are giving me a lot of grief now and that will only get worse as well. So big HP, wheelies, burnouts mental speeds etc are a thing of the past now mate.

Chopper
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Live life in the slow lane and enjoy the views
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

Hi chop you could see your ford guys to find a webber twin choke from an early sixtys ford consol capri 1500,agreat carb and chokes are not to big got one on the wifes mini cooper s replica banging carb excellent power curve.
jet toy maker

Post by jet toy maker »

Chopper303 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:52 am
jet toy maker wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 am Thanks for sharing your build Mr Chopper, i will be watching your build. I was thinking of building my own frame for my first trike project, but i think i'm lacking the skills at this time, and it would be less of a headache trying to build the trike i am building at the moment, but it will work out.
Hey buddy, I have read your jet build, I don't think lack of skills is a problem for you. LOL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chopper.
Thanks mate :) :)
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

Bit of an update. I got the engine sat and lined up in the jig. Headstock clamped in place at the angle I wanted, double checked everything was in line. Then started bending tube. I thought all was going well until I just happened to notice that where the headstock uprights were, I had put them way too close to the bottom of the headstock. Would have meant that I had almost zero lock on the steering. Good job I had only tacked things in place. Had to cut it all apart and start again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chopper303

Post by Chopper303 »

The picture above was taken after I realised my gentleman's sausage up and had to re position the uprights. Bloody annoying but it just proves the old "Measure twice, cut once" saying is bang on. Has been a while since I build any frames but I did remember to only tack things in place until you have checked everything is right before final welding.

I wanted to add some shape to the frame rather than just lots of straight lines. I am using 35mm OD tubing with 3.2mm wall thickness. Quite hefty and not the easiest stuff to bend and shape. Managed to bend the two side supports that go between the uprights and the top rail, into a half decent curve and get them to meet under the top tube. There is now a D triangle around the headstock. This will eventually be gusseted with 3mm plate once the joints are fully welded. I will be using 3mm plate to make some curves at the bottom of the uprights where they join the bottom frame rails. Radiator and gearbox oil cooler will be behind the forward uprights.

The fuel tank is one that I had in my parts bin for god knows how long. Think it came off one of those little Chinese 125 jobbies. The lowered tunnel is just to get it somewhere near where I want it to sit. Not quite happy with the line of it yet but it is not far out. his will be a dummy tank. I am going to cut a panel out of the top of the tank and add a little box so that I can house all the switch gear for the lights, ignition etc. The fuel tank is going to be a round alloy type thing and sat on the back between the rear wheels.

Chopper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

looking good mate i like the double down tubes what axle are you using, i need to strip and repaint mine but rides out keep getting in the way of workshop time i thought i would have it off the road over the winter but being the hardy type i just keep ridin :thumbsup: