New trike build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

New trike build

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, decided to build a trike for my other half Tina as she's always wanted one. Got a donor bike, Yamaha XVS650 V-star Classic. Nice bike sourced from Durham & delivered a couple of weeks ago. Started the stripdown & gathering parts & steel etc. Got a lovely rear Reliant axle & prop shaft off of sleazebay & wouldn't you know it, 2 days later another one came up about 20 miles from me for pennies so I got that one as well & lots of drums & other parts thrown in. Guy had started a trike project & got fed up after de-lugging the axle tubes. I'll probably break this one down & sell the parts individually. I'm going to do the same conversion to the swingarm as my 1100's got & keep both trikes looking the same, just black & chrome & simple. I'll stick a few pics up as I go along, not much to see at the mo, only a bike with no arse! Cheers, Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: New trike build

Post by Davey the punk »

Enjoy the build Bob
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Cheers Davey, but i'm not quite sure if enjoy's quite the right word!
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

firebob22 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:54 pm Cheers Davey, but i'm not quite sure if enjoy's quite the right word!
Just keep taking the pills Bob
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, hope you're all safe & well. Just a few more pics of the build so far. Still waiting for my parts to come back from the machine shop when they eventually reopen, so in the meantime, I've done a few more bits to the swingarm & back axle. Now, as I know F A about cars, does anyone know what the small plate in the picture is for? It goes between the hub & the brake plate but as far as I can see, doesn't actually do much. Can't find them on any of the Reliant rear axle schematics that I've seen. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers guys. Bob. :beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Looks like it's to hold a felt seal.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Maz

Post by Maz »

Its the axle breather plate, if you look on the axle flange there are 5 holes, 4 are threaded and one is plain....
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Thanks guys, I did find traces of gasket paper between the weird plate & the brake back plate. Maz, now you've pointed out the fifth hole, it all makes sense. I bolted the plate through the brake plate & onto the axle flange & I can see now how it works, although the breather hole was completely blocked. Cheers for that mate. Bob. :thumbsup:
Barracuda

Post by Barracuda »

Hi all, i’m A newbie at trikes and am desperado for advice. I bought my Xj 900 f trike in June and had it picked up and delivered. The guy said he would register it as a trike pass documents to driver. he didn’t so I only got log book for the bike. Sooo he told me it was bolt on but looking now ( bit late) i see that the chassis of trike is welded to the swing arm so does that mean I,ts a welded or bolt on trike cos if it,s bolt on that creates a pile of .... of work and a Q plate. Please pleeeeeease someone tell me good news.