V-Star conversion

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Re: V-Star conversion

Post by firebob22 »

Thanks to all for the kind comments, it's always nice to get positive feedback. Cheers to all for the ongoing support. Bob.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

MSVA'd? or how did you get round that - plenty of cutting and welding in earlier pics?
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi, only the swingarm has been altered & as it's not classified as part of the frame no MSVA needed, used all the main parts from the bike & have all the receipts for axle, wheels etc. so only got to get it weighed & fill out the declaration that it's a one off home build & hope for the best. Bob.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, got the registration document this morning for Tina's V-star!! Hurrah!! From start to finish the paperwork took about 10 weeks. Here's a list of things that you're going to need to retain the original bike's number plate.
First of all i contacted DVLA to find out exactly what they wanted. After looking on their website & going round in circles,
was told that all they needed was the V5 with the alterations section completed, weight certificate, photo's of the completed trike & a letter outlining the changes. Unfortunately, this was only half of what's actually needed as i found out 5 weeks later.
What you actually need is:- V5 with alterations section completed, Weighbridge certificate, Form V627/1 Built up vehicle inspection report which after much searching can be downloaded from the DVLA website & has a specific section for Bike to Trike conversions, Receipts for pretty much everything but especially the axle, brakes & wheels, Photo's of left, right, front & rear of completed trike & a photo of the VIN/Frame number & it's position on the trike, MOT certificate, Road fund licence form & payment for same. Be aware that the road fund price has gone up since April of this year so make sure to send the correct amount or it'll delay everything.
All of the above applies to a bike to trike conversion that has only had the swingarm altered & NO frame mods at all, & to retain the bike's original reg number, & as the weight is under 450kg's a class 3 MOT is required.
God only knows what they want for a new build that has to be MSVA'd!
Well, onward & upward & onto getting it insured & when the weather improves, getting it on the road finally.
Hope this helps anyone in the final stages of a build & be prepared for a lengthy wait from DVLA, Covid restrictions aren't helping due to having reduced staffing levels.
Good luck all & keep safe. Bob. :beer:
Last edited by firebob22 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Nice one, and many thanks for the write-up.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

It is not so much about if the swing arm has been altered it is about how the conversion attaches such that it can be reversed.

I have an IRS conversion so the swing arm was removed. The conversion attaches at the swing arm points and upper shock absorber points.

In your case and mine everything else was the same and the machine can keep its original reg or be changed for one that doesn't make it look newer than it is.

As I went to a company that does the kit of parts they furnished me with all of the details on getting through DVLA in one pass.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

I've got all this coming soon